Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mono Working Close With Microsoft, Gets $12M USD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Okay, they're "working closely" with Microsoft. That's fine. Where did the money come from? The article doesn't say and I'd kind of like to know.

    Directhex? Anybody?

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Larian View Post
      Okay, they're "working closely" with Microsoft. That's fine. Where did the money come from? The article doesn't say and I'd kind of like to know.

      Directhex? Anybody?
      Charles River Ventures (Scribd, Twitter)

      Ignition Partners (Heroku, Opscode, Xensource)

      Floodgate (Digg, Kongregate, Twitter)

      The mention of Microsoft in the article is flamebait.
      Last edited by directhex; 07-24-2012, 05:10 PM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by directhex View Post
        See that chart? Mono runs on 85% of devices. .NET runs on 1.3%
        Lol at Nielsen's misrepresentation, this is what it really looks like if you actually let the segments be represented by their actual percentages:


        Originally posted by directhex View Post
        Which is the platform that matters on mobile, Mono or .NET?
        Can I choose neither?

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by directhex View Post
          Charles River Ventures (Scribd, Twitter)

          Ignition Partners (Heroku, Opscode, Xensource)

          Floodgate (Digg, Kongregate, Twitter)

          The mention of Microsoft in the article is flamebait.
          What a GREAT salesman you are!!!

          You tell us that Microsoft is NOT heavily involved in this project???

          It's DOOMED if there is ZERO direct involvement from Microsoft.

          Honestly you tell us developers that we should invest our devlopment efforts into .NET products when Microsoft is not willing to stand behind the runtime?

          I've watched Miguel speak at conferences, I don't think I would trust him to mow my lawn. Putting him out there as the face of .NET is puzzling indeed.

          Note that both java and Qt have robust linux and OSX support from the original vendor.

          But with .NET, non-windows platforms take a back seat because Steve Ballmer gets cooties and throws a chair if there is any BSD or Linux code running in the room.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by directhex View Post
            Charles River Ventures (Scribd, Twitter)

            Ignition Partners (Heroku, Opscode, Xensource)

            Floodgate (Digg, Kongregate, Twitter)

            The mention of Microsoft in the article is flamebait.
            Ha. Yah, Michael tries to start one of these troll wars a week.

            What happened was a bunch of private investors just bet $12 million that the people on this board are wrong and MS isn't going to kill off Mono. But hey, let's throw a reference to MS in there and get everyone worked up!

            Comment


            • #21
              I'm still wary of Mono for core Linux apps, but I am glad that a few devs were able to use MonoGame to port some of their .Net stuff over to Linux.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
                Note that both java and Qt have robust linux and OSX support from the original vendor.
                I can't write for both iOS and Android in Java

                I can't write for both iOS and Android in Qt

                So whilst these are development environments with some valid use cases, they don't address the same use case as the pairing of Monotouch and Mono for Android. Which is why Xamarin just received $12M in investor funding.

                Relevant comparisons at this point are to products like PhoneGap.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
                  Lol at Nielsen's misrepresentation, this is what it really looks like if you actually let the segments be represented by their actual percentages:
                  Other than making the numbers harder to read, what exactly have you achieved? You certainly haven't disputed my point.

                  Can I choose neither?
                  Sure. But you'd be missing the point of the article (and of the $12M in investor funding).

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by benmoran View Post
                    I'm still wary of Mono for core Linux apps, but I am glad that a few devs were able to use MonoGame to port some of their .Net stuff over to Linux.
                    And MonoGame grew from an earlier project called XNATouch (which let developers port XNA games to MonoTouch, the iOS product).

                    So indirectly, each of those MonoGame games for Linux, like Bastion or WizOrb or Hackwork, is available thanks to MonoTouch.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Those who partners with M$ are usually having it hard.

                      Last time someone dared to partner with M$ it has been Nokia?

                      So they ditched Symbian. They ditched Linux-based Meego. They ditched all R&D. And replaced it with WP7. Which proven to be totally uncompetitive. So they were forcefully converted into dumb OEM by ex-M$ employee, mr Elop. Which took all steps to make sure Nokia can't survive without MS.

                      Unfortunately, looks like they doomed Nokia. It now loses more then billion per quarter and lacks any options to improve situation.

                      Yet some ppl cant learn on others mistakes and prefer to learn it hard way. Though need to throw 12M$ into marketing brainwashing implies that nobody needs M$ runtime on Linux, actually. Fairly laughable, doh .

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
                        Though need to throw 12M$ into marketing brainwashing implies that nobody needs M$ runtime on Linux, actually. Fairly laughable, doh .
                        What does Linux have to do with MonoTouch and Mono for Android, the two products Xamarin sell, which are the focus of their $12M in investor funding?

                        And what do Microsoft have to do with anything? They aren't investing a single dollar of that $12M.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by directhex View Post
                          And MonoGame grew from an earlier project called XNATouch (which let developers port XNA games to MonoTouch, the iOS product).

                          So indirectly, each of those MonoGame games for Linux, like Bastion or WizOrb or Hackwork, is available thanks to MonoTouch.
                          You see, world has chosen OpenGL for mobile gaming. It works more or less the same on iOS, Android and even on desktop computers, be it Mac, Linux or even windows (GPU drivers are supporting OpenGL even on Windows). Furthermore, all decent gamedevs use native code as could be several times faster in critical parts, lack unpredictable garbage collector, can have more control on environment, etc.

                          So you see, all best mobile games are usually OpenGL based. In fact many serios game engines (including commercial high-profile things) are supporting OpenGL rendering backend these days.

                          So MS basically shoot their own leg once more. In particular, their WP7 obviuously lacks best games available for iOS ans Android as they are the only platform who don't supports OpenGL and their market share is just 1%. So it's more than uber-mega-dumb to learn their very own crap incompatible with anyrhing else.

                          MS are such funny guys these days. Those pathetic losers thinking that their long bucks could fix their inability to manage things properly and cooperate with others. This is not going to work in long term though
                          Last edited by 0xBADCODE; 07-25-2012, 12:00 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Xamarin : promoting MS .NET .

                            Mono is not an alternative to MS.NET .Mono is to push a MS standard to another platforms.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by directhex View Post
                              They aren't investing a single dollar of that $12M.
                              Sure, formally you're right. Yet it's easy to guess these are probably just some M$ proxies. M$ aren't that stupid to do most of attacks on Linux/opensource directly. Usually they're using some proxies.

                              Most famous proxy scheme was SCO. Sure, formally it's not M$. Yet it's not hard to guess who paid all these attacks. When something happens, you have to evaluate one simple equation: "who gains something from it". Then you're getting an answer who is acrually in charge for these events taking place. Fairly simple logic. Works flawlessly 99% of time.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by lapis View Post
                                Mono is not an alternative to MS.NET .Mono is to push a MS standard to another platforms.
                                And they just got 12M$ to do some marketing brainwashing. Fortunately, brainwashing could only work on stupid people. Which can't be good devs anyway, so it usually a self-correcting problem

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X