No announcement yet.

GRUB 2.00 Boot-Loader Release Is Imminent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it come with a graphical user interface so I don't have to gksu gedit /etc/default/grub and then sudo update-grub when I want to make Windows boot by default? Truly, I questioned their sanity when they went from one config file with fairly easy to understand syntax to two config files with shitty syntax that made adding an entry for an operating system twice as hard.

Comment

Thats not the way you make win default. You can simply change the os-prober entries before the linux ones. Works when you only have got 1 Linux and 1 Win install. Otherwise you could modifiy the os-prober script to hide possible extra partitions used for system restore (add a "| grep -v sdaX" at the correct position). Like
      Code:
      mv /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober /etc/grub.d/09_os-prober
      To hide a partition look for a line like this:
      Code:
      OSPROBED="`os-prober | tr ' ' '^' | paste -s -d ' '`"
      Change that to
      Code:
      OSPROBED="`os-prober | grep -v sdaX | tr ' ' '^' | paste -s -d ' '`"
      Thats all you need to know. No gui needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Thats not the way you make win default. You can simply change the os-prober entries before the linux ones. Works when you only have got 1 Linux and 1 Win install. Otherwise you could modifiy the os-prober script to hide possible extra partitions used for system restore (add a "| grep -v sdaX" at the correct position). Like
        Code:
        mv /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober /etc/grub.d/09_os-prober
        To hide a partition look for a line like this:
        Code:
        OSPROBED="`os-prober | tr ' ' '^' | paste -s -d ' '`"
        Change that to
        Code:
        OSPROBED="`os-prober | grep -v sdaX | tr ' ' '^' | paste -s -d ' '`"
        Thats all you need to know. No gui needed.
        Thanks, but that's more lines of code to type. I don't fully understand all of that, and I wouldn't be exactly sure of what I was doing. For instance, you say it is for one Linux and one Windows, but there's usually an entry for a memory test and a recovery mode. Would your changes deal with that?

The way I do it is to go into the etc/default/grub and change the default to 4 or whatever line the Windows install is on. Then sudo update-grub. Of course, should the kernel update, Ubuntu will add a new line for the new kernel and I have to go in and change it all again.

Comment

The memory test is there when you have got memtest86(+) installed, if you dont like it remove the package. The recovery entries you can get lost when you do:
          Code:
          perl -pi -e 's/.*(GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY)=.*/\1="true"/' /etc/default/grub
          or use your favorite text editor. They are useless anyway, the same you get when you add "S" or "single" via the commandline interface.

Comment

Working...
          X