Fedora Discussion: "ARM Is A Dead End"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
    you don't get the point you get 128 GFLOPS double-precision or 256 GFLOPS single-precision for the 40W!

and this is very good!
    You didn't get it: we were discussing how good ARM is for mobile computing and you come talking about a server chip

Comment

Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
      You didn't get it: we were discussing how good ARM is for mobile computing and you come talking about a server chip
      this is not a server chip! you can buy notebooks "Lemote 8133 notebook" with that chip-

the only difference is 28nm for ARM right now and 65nm for lonngson .-.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
        this is not a server chip! you can buy notebooks "Lemote 8133 notebook" with that chip-
        As far as I could find, that laptop uses Loongson 3A which doesn't have the vector unit (3C has it).

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
          Don't you have couches?
          Couches? As in multiple? As a poor student? I do have one old couch.

But how's that related? Tablets are really un-ergonomic, my wrists don't like it when poking one for more than half an hour. I don't really appreciate touch UIs either, due to their nature they are forced to insert lag (is this a single or double tap? Maybe a gesture?); my fingers aren't invisible; smudges, etc etc.

(I do have a couple Android tablets, so speaking from experience)

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Couches? As in multiple? As a poor student? I do have one old couch.

But how's that related? Tablets are really un-ergonomic, my wrists don't like it when poking one for more than half an hour. I don't really appreciate touch UIs either, due to their nature they are forced to insert lag (is this a single or double tap? Maybe a gesture?); my fingers aren't invisible; smudges, etc etc.

(I do have a couple Android tablets, so speaking from experience)
            Tablet + stand + external keyboard + duct tape = laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              Which falls apart if you lift it, is a pain to carry around and to set up.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Which falls apart if you lift it, is a pain to carry around and to set up.
                MOAR DUCK TAPE!

If people can build canoes out of it, you can make a solid laptop. You probably couldn't close it though.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Err.. subnetbook, you mean?

Comment

Working...
                  X