Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux USB Library Has Been Forked

Phoronix: The Linux USB Library Has Been Forked

Libusb has been forked as libusbx and it appears this library for user-space USB data transfers on Linux and other operating systems is gaining traction...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEwNTY

libusb doesn't support hotplugging? That's like... the point of USB - a fast, hotswappable interface. Unless I'm misunderstanding it, I've been able to plug and unplug my USB devices just fine under linux.

Comment

"The open-source USB library has even been ported to Windows"

?????????????????????? holy S...?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        libusb doesn't support hotplugging? That's like... the point of USB - a fast, hotswappable interface. Unless I'm misunderstanding it, I've been able to plug and unplug my USB devices just fine under linux.
        That's handled by the kernel USB driver and udev. I am not sure why libusb is actually needed. It seems to be used by CUPS and SANE (for printers and scanners.)

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          That's handled by the kernel USB driver and udev. I am not sure why libusb is actually needed. It seems to be used by CUPS and SANE (for printers and scanners.)
          That would make sense because this pritner-scanner combo I have will occasionally cause kernel panics if I unplug it.

Comment

For Arch Linux users, I created this morning a package in AUR (if you want to try libusbx): https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=59473. At the moment, no problems so far...

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              That would make sense because this pritner-scanner combo I have will occasionally cause kernel panics if I unplug it.
              maybe then sane/xsane and friends should make use of either the kernel USB driver/udev stack or even libusbx to avoid such instability.

Comment

Surely userspace can't cause a kernel panic like that, without a kernel bug.

Comment

I wonder why some head devs seem unable to say "okay, I'm not able to deal with all that stuff anymore. Give me a break and somebody take over". Probably creators of a project becoming slow and less involved is one of the main reasons for forks. I mean it's not a shame to say I got too much "RL" troubles or a family and to step back a little and let somebody active take over.
                  Anyway. Welcome libusbx.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                    I wonder why some head devs seem unable to say "okay, I'm not able to deal with all that stuff anymore. Give me a break and somebody take over".
                    It's not that hard to understand. People who start projects are often very possessive of it - they're happy for others to contribute, but it's quite a different matter to completely hand it over to someone else. Even if he or she doesn't really spend much time on that project, it's still a big deal to step away and make it someone else's project.

Not everyone thinks that way, of course, but many do.

Comment

Working...
                    X