Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
    well, that massively helped

pulseaudio now continually seems to stay at 1% cpu load instead of pegging around 100-300%

it could have been partly an issue caused by configuration but I believe it's partly also due to tickless:

it's still for 1-2 seconds stalling when it's heavily writing even though the dirty values are low as "1" - but that obviously might be caused by either luks/device-mapper or the filesystems and the other subsystems (VFS, writeback, etc.) involved

last kernel that - in my opinion - had really great writeback performance was 2.6.34, dunno
    How about the subjective feeling between RIFS and RIFS-ES-Low-Spec ?

Comment

• Originally posted by 3766691 View Post
      How about the subjective feeling between RIFS and RIFS-ES-Low-Spec ?
      like I wrote - I need that box for production - so I won't compile another RIFS with NOHZ right now (next week or after that at earliest)

otherwise it would be RIFS + tickless vs. RIFS-ES-low-spec + NOHZ

and that wouldn't be fair

in my opinion RIFS was more consistent but less fluid whereas RIFS-ES-low-spec was more smooth but at times also less smooth

this could be a whole different story with tickless disabled

Comment

like I wrote - I need that box for production - so I won't compile another RIFS with NOHZ right now (next week or after that at earliest)

otherwise it would be RIFS + tickless vs. RIFS-ES-low-spec + NOHZ

and that wouldn't be fair

in my opinion RIFS was more consistent but less fluid whereas RIFS-ES-low-spec was more smooth but at times also less smooth

this could be a whole different story with tickless disabled
        NOHZ and tickless are the same things.

Actually I can't feel difference between RIFS and -ES but with benchmark data -ES would gain more improvement

Comment

NOHZ and tickless are the same things.

Actually I can't feel difference between RIFS and -ES but with benchmark data -ES would gain more improvement
          ah yes - I actually meant # NOHZ is not set

yeah, the differences are very subtle but under load RIFS-ES probably can really shine and show its strength

RIFS/-ES needs more testers and experiences to further improve and become even better

anyone ?

edit:

it's actually ridiculous how almost every app seemed to hog the cpu with NOHZ=y
          (between 50-100% per app)

it might have been issues with the kernel over longer runtime - I'll see at the end of the time if it shows the same behavior or if it stays that calm with 0-1%
          Last edited by kernelOfTruth; 06-23-2012, 05:56 AM.

Comment

ah yes - I actually meant # NOHZ is not set

yeah, the differences are very subtle but under load RIFS-ES probably can really shine and show its strength

RIFS/-ES needs more testers and experiences to further improve and become even better
            Ah, yes
            Now the last things is we have to make it into modular.(Very last things) After this RIFS/-ES will support CGroups.
            RIFS/-ES have beaten BFS but now we have to promote it more. If Gentoo developer can help me to promote I will say a big THANKS.

it might have been issues with the kernel over longer runtime - I'll see at the end of the time if it shows the same behavior or if it stays that calm with 0-1%
            I seldom run my computer for long time but now I will try. Do you play LOL?

Comment

Ah, yes
              Now the last things is we have to make it into modular.(Very last things) After this RIFS/-ES will support CGroups.
              RIFS/-ES have beaten BFS but now we have to promote it more. If Gentoo developer can help me to promote I will say a big THANKS.

I seldom run my computer for long time but now I will try. Do you play LOL?
              it was actually only a day

but I see that there can be issues with heavy usage of chromium, firefox, libreoffice (chromium using tcmalloc afaik, firefox + libreoffice jemalloc on Gentoo) + additional apps,

and thus the memory subsystem + uksm

dunno

Comment

it was actually only a day

but I see that there can be issues with heavy usage of chromium, firefox, libreoffice (chromium using tcmalloc afaik, firefox + libreoffice jemalloc on Gentoo) + additional apps,

and thus the memory subsystem + uksm

dunno
                With long runtime such as the hole day?

Comment

With long runtime such as the hole day?
                  yes, not sure what is causing this

it could be issues with QT, gtk+, or the apps - or the kernel

the cflags of the system aren't even heavy:

"-O2 -march=native -pipe -mno-push-args -mno-align-stringops -minline-stringops-dynamically -fmodulo-sched"

afaik in the past this didn't occur so it could be a regression introduced some kernel versions before, glibc, etc. etc.

no time to troubleshoot right now though ...

Comment

"-O2 -march=native -pipe -mno-push-args -mno-align-stringops -minline-stringops-dynamically -fmodulo-sched"

afaik in the past this didn't occur so it could be a regression introduced some kernel versions before, glibc, etc. etc.

BFS also has the same issue, interesting.

Sorry for late reply because I have been out to have dinner

Comment

This is RIFS-V3-Test(Actually is V5) based on RIFS-V2
                      It solved the interactivity problem RIFS-ES has.

http://rifs-scheduler.googlecode.com...s-V2-V3-Test.c

EDIT 2
                      Wow, I have run the latt -c255 sleep 10 with music playing and browsing using firefox.
                      No lag with Music and Screen.

[admin@localhost ~]$ latt -c255 sleep 10

Parameters: min_wait=100ms, max_wait=500ms, clients=255
                      Entries logged: 765

Wakeup averages
                      -------------------------------------
                      Max 148215 usec
                      Avg 11210 usec
                      Stdev 20550 usec
                      Stdev mean 743 usec

Work averages
                      -------------------------------------
                      Max 1210226 usec
                      Avg 59141 usec
                      Stdev 89912 usec
                      Stdev mean 3251 usec

Remember to rename it to rifs.c and replace it with the original one.
                      Chen
                      Last edited by 3766691; 06-24-2012, 07:03 AM.

Comment

• Hmm, I have post something wrong on the #145 floor.
                        Now, I have ported RIFS to 2.6.35. That means it can be used in Android. I have started testing it.

Comment

Working...
                        X