No announcement yet.

Intel Core i7 AVX GCC Compiler Tuning Results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

-march implies -mtune. With march set to your cpu, it's pointless to add mtune.

Comment

Basically only Gentoo/Arch users can who compile all the day can use different compilers/settings to improve speed. But they will never gain the time back they used to compile the sources on their own system(s). If you use a more generic distro then all packages have to be compiled to work on all supported systems. I don't think a 5%-10% gain is worth to create a specific binary, that's only important when the base speed is low which is very unlikely if you own a new system. A completely different thing is when you have to your own code and you want to run it as fast as possible - but then you have to do you own tests as no compiler comparsion will be accurate for custom code. I compile xbmc from sources usually but the reason is not the speed but that this app gets so many updates in a short time that using binaries from a release feels already outdated when it is tagged

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        -march implies -mtune. With march set to your cpu, it's pointless to add mtune.
        but I read:

-mtune=cpu-type
        Tune to cpu-type everything applicable about the generated code, except for the ABI and the set of available instructions. While picking a specific cpu-type schedules things appropriately for that particular chip, the compiler does not generate any code that cannot run on the default machine type unless you use a -march=cpu-type option. For example, if GCC is configured for i686-pc-linux-gnu then -mtune=pentium4 generates code that is tuned for Pentium 4 but still runs on i686 machines.
        The choices for cpu-type are the same as for -march.
        OK, I guess I got it backwards. march does more than mtune.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
          PGO is great. Gives me an easy 5-10% performance boost when optimising wined3d (can't profile the entire wine app because of a bug). PGO works great with Dolphin as well.
          How you done this?

Comment

Working...
          X