Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where The Linux 3.3 Kernel Will Come Up Short

Phoronix: Where The Linux 3.3 Kernel Will Come Up Short

While there's a lot of improvements in the Linux 3.3 kernel, it's not perfect. Here's some of what's unfortunately missing from this forthcoming kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Late 2011 eh?

Comment

While there's a lot of improvements in the Linux 3.3 kernel, it's not perfect
      Do you consider unfinished and unstable features will make it perfect?

Comment

The Unoffical List

1. Multi-year ABI support for drivers (LTS)
        2. Separate kernel versions: Desktop / Server with a configuration option to select between
        3. Certified quality tests, unit tests and signed deliverables for community consumption
        4. Public humiliation for breaking and regressing

I wish these kernel developers would go get a real software development job at a respected software company. Just work there for a few months and learn proper development, test and release procedures. One thing that is obvious is that they aren't testing the code. They should start signing off with a public key on the code they submit.

If you are testing then you know about the regressions.
        Can't just hide under the "but it's free" rock anymore.

But I could be wrong and my brain just isn't wired like most people. I sit around worrying about bugs I didn't find.

adios

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
          I wish these kernel developers would go get a real software development job at a respected software company.
          I'm not sure are you trying to pull somekind of bad sarcasm but anyway... Around 80% of Linux developement is done by companies that include for example Red Hat and IBM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
            I'm not sure are you trying to pull somekind of bad sarcasm but anyway... Around 80% of Linux development is done by companies that include for example Red Hat and IBM.
            80% is not a good figure.
            http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10288910-16.html : how about 12%
            Now that article is a bit old.

Comment

But I could be wrong and my brain just isn't wired like most people.
              Not sure about your brain but you certainly lack some understanding how stuff works. Your laundry list is explicitly the job of distributions. And if there is no such distribution, it's probably that nobody cares about your wishes, at least no one who'd be willing to pay for it.

Comment

- Reiser4 is dead. And interest in it has died too. Yes it had nice features in the beginning (I still remember cd'into into a file and dropping a file into it, hehe),
                but Hans' and his Team's attitude did not help their cause.

- there's lots of progress outside x86 and KMS, take a look some time...

Comment

I guess, more appropriate title for this article would be "Features being work-in-progress in Linux 3.3-rc1". Mostly those aren't shortcomings because they're being addressed right now.

Comment

1. Multi-year ABI support for drivers (LTS)
                    2. Separate kernel versions: Desktop / Server with a configuration option to select between
                    3. Certified quality tests, unit tests and signed deliverables for community consumption
                    4. Public humiliation for breaking and regressing
                    1. http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/stable_api_nonsense.html
                    2. Makes no sense you can already configure the kernel to be a "desktop" or "server" kernel
                    3. Is done by distributors that have customers who care
                    4. Happens from time to time

So your list ends up empty already.

Comment

Working...
                    X