Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LessFS Pairs De-Duplication With Snappy Compression

Phoronix: LessFS Pairs De-Duplication With Snappy Compression

Btrfs isn't the only file-system to take advantage of Google's Snappy compression as a speedy means of transparent file compression, but the LessFS file-system has also supported Snappy for the past few months. This open-source file-system also has de-duplication support...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA0MzQ

benchmarks of this vs btrfs, ext4, and SDFS?

Comment

Originally posted by coder543 View Post
      benchmarks of this vs btrfs, ext4, and SDFS?
      I second that!
      However, ZFS should certainly be added to the mix as well

Comment

I've read bad bad stories about deduplication (at least in ZFS)

This seems to be only useful, if you have a kind of data-dump-storage and never change it once created...

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
          I've read bad bad stories about deduplication (at least in ZFS)

This seems to be only useful, if you have a kind of data-dump-storage and never change it once created...
          Which is admittedly quite common - at work, I've got a ZFS/dedup/compression NFS share I use as storage for our project data [1]. The original data is typically left alone, while any modifications of it are done into new files. At home, I've got a storage disk full of assorted media - and that's not exactly often-modified data either. (Consider something like my many GB of RAW photos: Lightroom stores your changes as a list of modifications while leaving the original untouched.)

[1] Anything hard or impossible to recreate also has backups, of course

Comment

LZ4

Well, it seems there is an even better alternative than Snappy which is being tested by LessFS :

http://www.lessfs.com/wordpress/?p=688

When will we have an article about that on Phoronix ?

Comment

Working...
            X