Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXT4 Gains New Online Resize Support In Linux 3.3

Phoronix: EXT4 Gains New Online Resize Support In Linux 3.3

The EXT4 file-system pull request went in today for the Linux 3.3 kernel. The EXT4 updates for this next kernel include the new online resize interface...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

impressive

Comment

What is the purpouse of this resize?

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
        What is the purpouse of this resize?
        So if you go and resize your ext4 partition it doesn't take as long...

Comment

How come a 100GB resize is so much faster than a 20GB one?

Comment

Does this allow you to shrink it or just grow it? If it allows online shrinking then that's bloody fantastic. I doubt it somehow though. I don't know of any other filesystem that can do that off the top of my head.

Comment

I'm guessing this is about growing, not shrinking, especially with those stellar results (shrinking normally involves compacting data, so it will take a while).
              Nevertheless, very useful, especially on virtualized environments, where you can just "ask" for a bigger disk from a SAN, and online-grow the fs to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
                How come a 100GB resize is so much faster than a 20GB one?
                By the magic of Michael only understanding half of the source before rephrasing everything and passing it off as an article. It's unfortunate, but often reading phoronix news is more productive if you find the external link and read that instead :/

The first resize is from 20GB to 360GB (+340GB), the second from 100GB to 360GB (+260GB). And suddenly the numbers make sense!

Comment

Very bad article. It's the lowest quality writing I have ever seen in a Phoronix article.

Michael, are you sick? No, I'm not trying to be funny. Your writing suggest there might be something wrong with you. You should go see a doctor.

Comment

This will be really useful in conjunction with LVM.

Comment

Working...
                    X