Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POHMELFS: A New But Old Distributed Linux File-System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • POHMELFS: A New But Old Distributed Linux File-System

    Phoronix: POHMELFS: A New But Old Distributed Linux File-System

    In a Christmas-themed announcement, Evgeniy Polyakov has unveiled a brand new POHMELFS distributed file-system implementation for the Linux kernel...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAzNDM

  • #2
    I want a pony

    What I want is something like a combination of this, zfs/btrfs and dropbox. I just stick files in there and they get replicated to all my machines taking into account network topology and connectivity, but with no master servers. Effectively my gobs of storage everywhere become one large pool providing performance (caching) and resilience/backup. But crucially there should be clients for multiple platforms including Android and Windows.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by grotgrot View Post
      What I want is something like a combination of this, zfs/btrfs and dropbox. I just stick files in there and they get replicated to all my machines taking into account network topology and connectivity, but with no master servers. Effectively my gobs of storage everywhere become one large pool providing performance (caching) and resilience/backup. But crucially there should be clients for multiple platforms including Android and Windows.
      Sounds a bit like Coda. Not the easiest system to use though.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Chewi View Post
        Sounds a bit like Coda. Not the easiest system to use though.
        Might also look into AFS.

        Comment


        • #5
          FS name...

          You do know that "Pohmel" in russian means being drunk, or the drink itself
          Just saying, and I am not kidding.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
            You do know that "Pohmel" in russian means being drunk, or the drink itself
            Just saying, and I am not kidding.
            Can't stop laughing about that fs name everytime I read it. Russians

            One small correction: POHMEL doesn't mean being drunk, it rather means what happens afterwards. Alcohol abstinence, you know. I hope this doesn't indicate the state at which code was written.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Chewi View Post
              Sounds a bit like Coda. Not the easiest system to use though.
              Indeed - it is far too much work to use, the FAQ is scary, no Android support etc. One nice attribute of Dropbox is that it just works - I really don't have to know or care about what is going on behind the scenes.

              Comment

              Working...
              X