Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qt 4.8 Draws In Platform Abstraction, New WebKit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #71
    Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Giving away your freedom by signing a CLA which transfers the power and right to to a strategic partnership between Nokia and Microsoft is about the most stupid idea I ever heard -- and some notorious patent aggressions from Nokia and Microsoft
    The partnership nor the patent deals between Nokia and Microsoft have nothign to do with Qt and the CLA gives no rights whatsoever to Microsoft. There simply is no relation and if you insist there to be please provide sources for your claims.

    Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Add in some open core business from Digia
    I think this has already been covered; there's no basis for your claims.

    If Qts business model is broken then it has always been and shouldn't be news to anyone. However it's open source software and if developers at somepoint come to a conclusion that it should be forked; they will do it. But as you can see; it is not happening. People who spent their time on developing software instead of spreading their delusions on forums have to think these things more practically and rationally. You don't fork projects because of some small possibility of something maybe happening sometime in the future.

    Comment


    • #72
      Originally posted by kraftman View Post
      STOP. Wait for 12.04, because current one is using mono. ;>
      So is it still apt-get purge mono-core to fix that?

      I think it's interesting that nobody takes you seriously when you mention that Ubuntu has Mono, which is a patent violating open core mess, then suddenly everyone goes bat shit insane over Digia cherry picking some post-4.8 commits.

      If Michael had bothered putting in the lines that came after that like "this isn't our preferred development model and we hope to have all of this into the open source Qt 4.8.1 release" then it may have not come to this stupid ranting and FUD about Qt.

      You want to rant about something, at least make it a valid rant. Cherry picking patches that are open source and any user is free to apply to Qt 4.8 himself is not some secret diabolical anti-Linux plot from the Legion of Doom operating from their base underneath a lake somewhere.
      Last edited by DaemonFC; 12-20-2011, 06:31 AM.

      Comment


      • #73
        Originally posted by Teho View Post
        ... Alot of words to avoid the real issue...
        Teho this is the third time I ask you. At this very moment; does Digia sell a version of Qt commercial containing "extra value" compared to the free version? [Y/N]

        Comment


        • #74
          Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
          I think it's interesting that nobody takes you seriously when you mention that Ubuntu has Mono, which is a patent violating open core mess, then suddenly everyone goes bat shit insane over Digia cherry picking some post-4.8 commits.
          Qt just took over from Mono on Ubuntu. Not as "great free software everybody wants" but as "unacceptable licensed cr.. that only the naive Ubuntu users wants". It is Ubuntus way of differentiation against Fedora.

          Comment


          • #75
            Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
            Teho this is the third time I ask you. At this very moment; does Digia sell a version of Qt commercial containing "extra value" compared to the free version? [Y/N]
            Yes (even though the "extra value" is quite negligible) but that doesn't make it "open core business" because it's NOT about business for fuck sake. You over simplyfy things to fit your narrative. That's not how reality works... and defintly not how you win an argument.

            Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
            Not as "great free software everybody wants" but as "unacceptable licensed cr.. that only the naive Ubuntu users wants".
            I'm almost certain that you are the only person whose reason no to use Qt is because its commercial version has few patches that has not yet made it to the mainline.

            Comment


            • #76
              Originally posted by Teho View Post
              Yes (even though the "extra value" is quite negligible) but that doesn't make it "open core business" because it's NOT about business for fuck sake.
              Off course it is about business! Digia is selling commercial licenses! Digia is(as you asmitted) adding "extra value". This is business based on open core sales. In short: open core business!

              Right now this is the true. Only the good spirit of Digia chan revert this. Until then(if ever) this will remain OPEN CORE BUSINESS. Now go deal with it.

              Comment


              • #77
                Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                Off course it is about business! Digia is selling commercial licenses! Digia is(as you asmitted) adding "extra value". This is business based on open core sales. In short: open core business!

                Right now this is the true. Only the good spirit of Digia chan revert this. Until then(if ever) this will remain OPEN CORE BUSINESS. Now go deal with it.
                Calm the fuck down dude, the hyperbole is smothering me. And I thought the mono trolls were bad..

                Comment


                • #78
                  Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                  This is business based on open core sales
                  Qt Commercial is not sold because of the "extra value" but greater freedom and support for those who need it.

                  Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                  Only the good spirit of Digia chan revert this.
                  They said that they will and have done so in the past.

                  Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                  Until then(if ever) this will remain OPEN CORE BUSINESS..
                  I would like to remind you that you are the only one to call Qt "open core business" and it definetly isn't taken as such. What you seem to be doing is redefining the meaning of the word to over dramatize the situation and that's just weak. Even if we accept your defeinition of the word and call Qt "open core business" it changes nothing. Qt Commercial is not about providing more than Qt on purpose and that has been said many times.

                  Comment


                  • #79
                    Originally posted by Teho View Post
                    Qt Commercial is not sold because of the "extra value" but greater freedom and support for those who need it.
                    LOL. Then explain why Digia Marketing chose to make a big deal out of it. They simply want to scoop the extra marketing value and maximize sales of the commercial version. Dude, it is called open core business.

                    Comment


                    • #80
                      Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                      LOL. Then explain why Digia Marketing chose to make a big deal out of it.
                      Only one to make it a big deal is you...
                      Compared to the open-source Qt 4.8.0 there are 118 additional improvements[1] in the Qt Commercial 4.8.0. Digia has contributed all these, and a large amount of other items to the open-source for inclusion to later Qt releases.[2]
                      [1] If they were to market it hard they would at least tell you what you get.
                      [2] They tell you that if you buy our product you get at tops a few improvements little bit earlier than in the free version (month or so). [and according to them this is not even intentional...]

                      To Digia it's more important to convince the potential customers that they do actual Qt developement and know what they are doing than to sell their additions as in itself.

                      Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                      Dude, it is called open core business.
                      For the fucking tenth time; it is not. You could of course contact OSI and waste their time on trivial subject but as long as you don't brings something new to the table; you have absolutely nothing.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X