Building The Linux Kernel In 60 Seconds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leeenux View Post
    Intel's mindless fans tend to ignore these aspects except when it suits their current argument. Heck, go look at the mindless drivel on Anandtech, they've released their 2nd consecutive Bulldozer Opteron article where they've whined about how it's too hard to make workloads scale past 8 cores, so their just going to use Cinnebench and declare Xeon the CPU to buy, even though less than one percent of servers are purchased for moderately threaded FP heavy loads.

It's starting to look like Intel is buying their reviews from Phoronix too, read the first paragraph:
    OK, that's fine, except you aren't providing any reference of how much faster than Bulldozer it is, but just using strong language to suggest Bulldozer is completely inferior, without offering any actual facts to back it up. It sounds to me like you've already benchmarked both on similar configurations, bar graphs and hard numbers or STFU. I have an FX-8120, I'll gladly do a timed kernel compiling if you'll provide the exact parameters you're using to compile it on the Intel system.
    yes you get it!

michael compared a 1000 cpu to an 240 amd cpu this is only a joke! really!

even a AMD Opteron 6276 only cost you 724,99 and you can put it into a single socket mainboard. the intel 3960X cost in germany 920-1000

if he really want to compare amd vs intel he should buy a AMD Opteron 6276 as a competitor against the 3960X

intels hardware PR-marketing gift turn people into brainless zombies.

Comment

[QUOTE=NoEffex;241708]You can typically do math to gauge how much worse it is. Bulldozer gets stomped by the mid-lower-end i7's/i5's and since this stomps those then it's going to completely obliterate bulldozer.

in fact a AMD Opteron 6276 is also a bulldozer. and your "mid-lower-end" cpus don't have any chance! so you talk just bullshit!

Originally posted by NoEffex View Post
      I had bought a bulldozer-based system because bulldozer was supposed to be actually a run for having a lot of performance. The thing sucked. The "8-core" CPU is pretty much a hyper-threaded quad-core but slightly worse. It is really not worth buying. Bulldozer is legitimately a disaster and the only things AMD has going for them are 1. server CPUs (Heavily threaded applications such as databases thrive on high-core opteron systems, like 32-core or 48-core) 2. graphics cards (The ATI cards are similar in performance to the NVIDIA cards in that the highest-end AMD card MIGHT be better than the highest-end NVIDIA though that could just be false). Desktop CPUs is not their thing and I heavily regret ever purchasing one.
      in fact you talk about "THE" bulldozer but the AMD Opteron 6276 is also a bulldozer.

you just buyed the midrange version and not the highend version of the bulldozer.

Originally posted by NoEffex View Post
      When the sandy bridge e came out I saw an opportunity and bought the 3930k (not paying an extra arm or leg for slightly better performance). It is better in every aspect. The bulldozer I had basically could not handle anything I run (IntelliJ being chief among those applications) and it just was not pretty at all, let alone play any games. The i7 can handle several vms, 3-4 intellij windows, and still not show any signs of slowing down. It's significantly better and IMO more worth the money. A couple hundred dollars more (Or maybe even less than that) for well over twice the power is worth it in a heartbeat.
      you are just misinformed the FX8150 is not amd's highend cpu.

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
        You came in here very confrontationally spouting things that reviewers all disagree with, and that I've personally verified some of the results of these reviewers myself.
        In usd terms the 3930x is 599 and the 6272 is 539. Not a big difference, these new intels are still at introductory prices.
        And don't ever use supermicro boards. ever, esp with linux. I've had bad experiences with all 4 models (multi socket). They are bad about fixing crap bioses, etc. Tyan is the way to go, at this level they generally make a superior board and try to make sure it works.
        Every single benchmark I've seen shows the 627x performing only slightly better than the 61xx series. Are they all being paid off to make amd look bad??? And the xeons they test against are still last gen intel tech, and they beat the amds.
        Core for core amd can't beat intel. AMD may scale slightly better than intel but they can't scale well enough to make up for the really crappy throughput.
        "Are they all being paid off to make amd look bad??? "

simple but true answer: YES! many windows7 tests but the windows7 scheduler can't handle the bulldozer correctly and many windows server 2008 benchmarks but the scheduler of this OS also can't handle the bulldozer and then they use inlet-compiler compiled software.

you can't trust these test results.

the 3960X do have 6*4 integer units@3,3ghz (79,2) the opteron do have 16*2 integer units@2,3ghz (73,6)

if all works right the intel should only be 7,6% faster.

Both do have a 256bit ram interface.

Comment

OK, that's fine, except you aren't providing any reference of how much faster than Bulldozer it is, but just using strong language to suggest Bulldozer is completely inferior, without offering any actual facts to back it up. It sounds to me like you've already benchmarked both on similar configurations, bar graphs and hard numbers or STFU. I have an FX-8120, I'll gladly do a timed kernel compiling if you'll provide the exact parameters you're using to compile it on the Intel system.
          As said in the article, the actual review is coming up soon...
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            As said in the article, the actual review is coming up soon...
            why isn't there a kernel compile time test in the 8150 test in the first place ? this would not start if you would stick to a standard test setup and not use tests not included there for anything.

I went through both BD tests (original one and compiler comparison) and no kernel compile time graph. don't try to refer me to openbenchmarking.org. the site has a horrible layour for me (completely unintuitive and unclear) and there are very few people that will actualy look there if they don't find information in phoronix.com articles.

Comment

Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
              why isn't there a kernel compile time test in the 8150 test in the first place ? this would not start if you would stick to a standard test setup and not use tests not included there for anything.

I went through both BD tests (original one and compiler comparison) and no kernel compile time graph. don't try to refer me to openbenchmarking.org. the site has a horrible layour for me (completely unintuitive and unclear) and there are very few people that will actualy look there if they don't find information in phoronix.com articles.
              Only tests used in articles are those in the Phoronix Test Suite / OpenBenchmarking.org, which are all in a standardized configuration. The results are on OpenBenchmarking.org.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Only tests used in articles are those in the Phoronix Test Suite / OpenBenchmarking.org, which are all in a standardized configuration. The results are on OpenBenchmarking.org.
                "I refuse to actually tell the truth, now your procrastination will make sure you won't find the result, so bugger off."

Comment

Originally posted by del_diablo View Post
                  "I refuse to actually tell the truth, now your procrastination will make sure you won't find the result, so bugger off."
                  The compile time results of the FX-8150 and 7 other CPUs will also be in the 3960X review when published, if you don't feel like clicking around OpenBenchmarking.org to find them.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

The compile time results of the FX-8150 and 7 other CPUs will also be in the 3960X review when published, if you don't feel like clicking around OpenBenchmarking.org to find them.
                    I sometimes wonder if you've tried using the site yourself to find results - I thought Gentoo had a steep learning curve

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                      I sometimes wonder if you've tried using the site yourself to find results - I thought Gentoo had a steep learning curve
                      Search -> click -> Done. Feature requests and other constructive feedback is always welcome as well.
                      Michael Larabel

Comment

Code:
                        real    0m28.677s
                        user    1m25.066s
                        sys     0m0.000s
                        Full kernel build from make clean. Gotta love a ccache in RAM. Great for bisecting.

Here's my script to automate it. Only dependencies are ccache, pbzip2, bash4:

Code:
                        #!/usr/bin/env bash
                        # Copyright 2010, 2011 Dan Douglas
                        # License: WTFPL

declare -i csize=200                                      # max total cache size
                        cdir="/home/ormaaj/doc/mnt/ccache"                         # tmp directory
                        cachepath="/home/ormaaj/$(basename "$(pwd -P)").tar.bz2"   # cache directory
                        ccachedir="/usr/lib/ccache/bin"                           # ccache toolchain symlinks path

colorsetup() {
                            set -- 'red' 'setaf 1' 'green' 'setaf 2' 'reset' 'sgr0'
                            while (($#)); do
                                colrs["$1"]="$(tput -S <<<"$2")"
                                shift 2
                            done

echo() { printf -- '%s\n' "${colrs['green']}${@}${colrs['reset']}" ''; } >&2
                        }

die() {
                            printf '%s\n' "${colrs['red']}${!#:-'Error occured.'}${colrs['reset']}" ''

if [[ $1 == -n ]]; then
                                echo 'Nonfatal, continuing...'
                                return
                            else
                                local -i frame
                                while caller $frame; do
                                    ((frame++))
                                done
                            fi

exit 1
                        } >&2

cleanup() {
                            echo 'Cleaning up tmpfs...'
                            umount "$cdir" || die -n "Failed unmounting tmpfs at: ${cdir}"
                        }

doCcache() {
                            if [[ ! -e $cdir ]]; then
                                echo "No existing temporary cache directory ${cdir}, creating..."
                                mkdir -p "$cdir"
                            fi

mount -t tmpfs -o "size=$((csize+50))m" tmpfs "$cdir" || die 'mount failed'

trap -- 'cleanup' EXIT

if [[ -e $cachepath ]]; then
                                tar --use-compress-prog=pbzip2 -xvf "$cachepath" -C "$cdir" || die 'Failed unpacking cache files'
                            else
                                echo "No previous cache found at: ${cachepath}, creating new." >&2
                            fi

export PATH="${ccachedir:-'/usr/lib/ccache/bin'}:${PATH}" CCACHE_SIZE="$csize" CCACHE_DIR="$cdir"

echo "$(ccache -s)"
                            doCompile
                            echo "$(ccache -s)"
                            pushd "$cdir"
                            tar --use-compress-prog=pbzip2 -cf "$cachepath" * || die -n 'Tar failed to pack up the ccache files!'
                            popd
                            cleanup
                            trap - EXIT
                        }

doCompile() {
                            make clean
                            if make -j8; then
                                make modules_install  || die
                                make firmware_install || die
                                cp "./arch/$(uname -m)/boot/bzImage" "/boot/$(basename "$(pwd -P)")" || die 'Failed while copying kernel image.'
                            else
                               die 'make failed'
                            fi
                        }

main() {
                            local -A colrs
                            colorsetup
                            pushd /usr/src/linux

if [[ $1 == -n ]]; then
                                doCompile
                            else
                                doCcache
                            fi

#    schedtool -D -e emerge -v @module-rebuild
                            popd
                        }

main "$@"

# vim: fenc=utf-8 ff=unix ts=4 sts=4 sw=4 ft=sh nowrap et :

Comment

I think it's safe to say that Phoronix has sold out just like the other sites, as Michael has declined to be "open" and provide his kernel compiling parameters, but instead just invited us to stay tuned for his next article.

I compiled the kernel with

make defconfig
                          export CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=8
                          time make-kpkg --initrd --apend-to-version=-test kernel_image kernel_headers

On the following setup:

FX-8120
                          64GB Crucial SSD as boot drive, also where the kernel source was compiled
                          16GB of DDR3-1600

and compiled it in 4 minutes and 30 seconds. HOWEVER, the actual compilation took between 1.5 and 2 minutes with 90%+ CPU utilization across all cores the entire time, and the rest was those scripts that run before and after, where CPU and disk utilization are all well under 50% the entire time. This casts doubt on exactly how Michael is timing this benchmark, as I'm sure he can't be timing the entire make-kpkg command, which is what any logical person would consider a timed kernel compiling, and there's no way that the Intel CPU can somehow magically perform the non-CPU bound portion of the compile faster.

Of course, even if you compile the Linux kernel 10 times a day, the supposed, let's say: 10 extra minutes of waiting(assuming that we're comparing just the compilation part), is hardly going to inconvenience anybody, and I dare say that a $1000 16 core Opteron will do just as good and probably better than a $1000 Intel Xtreme edition CPU, not that anybody should be able to notice or care about it when the times are already so fast to begin with.

Comment

I think it's safe to say that Phoronix has sold out just like the other sites, as Michael has declined to be "open" and provide his kernel compiling parameters....
                            Huh? It's all open-source and there as part of the Phoronix Test Suite. Fetch the Phoronix Test Suite and run "phoronix-test-suite benchmark build-linux-kernel" and it will download, setup, and run the build test just like I do and then spit out your times.
                            Michael Larabel

Comment

AMD has been a fscking loser for a long time, just like Mr Q

Comment

Learning curve

I agree the learning curve for the openbenchmarking.org site is difficult. I gave up when I first tried to understand the site. However, I think I will pick it up on second review. I was able to find some of the results in question - Intel Core i7 3960X kernel comp. It did take me one search, then 4 clicks to find, which is very acceptable, since I still don't have a firm grasp on how to use the site. I haven't been able to get PTS working on my machine (gentoo amd64) but I'ma try again on that.

Comment

Working...
                                X