Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Foundation Backs Long-Term Support Kernels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux Foundation Backs Long-Term Support Kernels

    Phoronix: Linux Foundation Backs Long-Term Support Kernels

    The Linux Foundation has announced this morning from Prague at LinuxCon Europe 2011 that they will be backing long-term support Linux kernel releases. In a move that targets consumer electronic devices relying upon the Linux kernel, once per year an LTS Linux kernel will be tagged and it will be maintained for a period of two years...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAwNjA

  • #2
    I don't like the Linux Foundation. For me the Linux Foundation is not much different than Microsoft or Apple. Well, at least Microsoft an Apple don't lie about their objectives. There is an old saying: "He who pays the piper, calls the tune."

    The Linux Foundation, and thus Linus, are not as independent as they claim but they primarily cater to the interests of their corporate sponsors. Many of them use Linux as part of their proprietary, and encrypted, firmware. They are harmful to the freedom of the end-user.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
      I don't like the Linux Foundation. For me the Linux Foundation is not much different than Microsoft or Apple. Well, at least Microsoft an Apple don't lie about their objectives. There is an old saying: "He who pays the piper, calls the tune."

      The Linux Foundation, and thus Linus, are not as independent as they claim but they primarily cater to the interests of their corporate sponsors. Many of them use Linux as part of their proprietary, and encrypted, firmware. They are harmful to the freedom of the end-user.
      I think that's the lesser of two evils. The other option would probably be licensing proprietary software from Microsoft, even though some companies pay Microsoft to use Linux. At least publically. Privately I'm sure that Microsoft arranges to pay them to claim Linux infringes on Microsoft patents, then the next day $44 million lands on Samsung's lap for "Vista Phone 7 marketing" (sure).

      Comment


      • #4
        I thought they already did this?

        2.6.32.46 and 2.6.27.59 are the two "LTS" kernels.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
          I think that's the lesser of two evils. The other option would probably be licensing proprietary software from Microsoft, even though some companies pay Microsoft to use Linux.
          I see no difference. Whether my consumer electronics device is running on a proprietary Linux, Windows, iOS or other firmware image it's the same to me. I'm locked out of my device and have to live with all the device's shortcomings and restrictions.

          Hell if this is the route Linux is going, i.e., to provide a basis for proprietary firmware images, I might as well move to iOS.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
            I see no difference. Whether my consumer electronics device is running on a proprietary Linux, Windows, iOS or other firmware image it's the same to me. I'm locked out of my device and have to live with all the device's shortcomings and restrictions.

            Hell if this is the route Linux is going, i.e., to provide a basis for proprietary firmware images, I might as well move to iOS.

            DONT FUCKIN BUY IT THEN



            its as simple as that

            and in the case you don't like the direction linux is taking fork it

            Comment


            • #7
              Interesting and needed but two years is nothing in the embedded world.

              It is a nice thought but it appears to be more of a marketing snow job than anything.

              Sometimes I don't think the Linux world grasps the concept of stability. A couple of years ago I went to an Apple Mac Book Pro for my portable needs. One big draw was that the platform is far more stable with no need for a distro update every six months and the attendant incompatible software.

              Now I understand that some of these issue are not Linux kernel specific. The thing is the kernel team does set the mind set for the community. So hopefully this is good news long term.

              Comment


              • #8
                You really don't know what you are talking about!

                Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                I don't like the Linux Foundation. For me the Linux Foundation is not much different than Microsoft or Apple. Well, at least Microsoft an Apple don't lie about their objectives. There is an old saying: "He who pays the piper, calls the tune."

                The Linux Foundation, and thus Linus, are not as independent as they claim but they primarily cater to the interests of their corporate sponsors. Many of them use Linux as part of their proprietary, and encrypted, firmware. They are harmful to the freedom of the end-user.
                I suppose you expect the entire kernel team to go on welfare while they hack the kernel.

                Comment


                • #9
                  idiots

                  you both are goddamn idiots.

                  Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                  I see no difference. Whether my consumer electronics device is running on a proprietary Linux, Windows, iOS or other firmware image it's the same to me. I'm locked out of my device and have to live with all the device's shortcomings and restrictions.

                  Hell if this is the route Linux is going, i.e., to provide a basis for proprietary firmware images, I might as well move to iOS.
                  you, for thinking that world would change just by you stomping your foot and wishing on a star.
                  freedom is taken by making small steps through blood, sweet and tears; slowly, bit by bit, shifting balance of the scales from one side to the other. which exactly what they are trying to do by eliminating bunch of closed-source forks.
                  what, if it's not 100% awesome then fuck it, let's eat total crap ?

                  Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                  The Linux Foundation, and thus Linus, are not as independent as they claim but they primarily cater to the interests of their corporate sponsors. Many of them use Linux as part of their proprietary, and encrypted, firmware. They are harmful to the freedom of the end-user.
                  no shit, Sherlock ?
                  if Linux wouldn't be useful in business, it wouldn't be used in business, right ? there is almost no business on the planet which is not using Linux in some manner, directly or indirectly. and there is better fucking be an organization that would speak with major businesses on behalf of Linux community.
                  and concerning "many of whom use Linux as part of their proprietary, and encrypted, firmware", the problem with that is that there is no fucking one providing complete, 100% free/libre or even 100% open-source firmwares. so what they supposed to do, fart out a bunch of kind samaritans out of their asses ?

                  those are rhetorical questions. fuck you.

                  Originally posted by 89c51 View Post

                  DONT FUCKIN BUY IT THEN

                  its as simple as that
                  and in the case you don't like the direction linux is taking fork it
                  and you are even bigger idiot for suggesting that being a fucking luddite in 21st century, century of tech and information, is a viable option.
                  no, it's not that simple, it's called "not doing a jack shit and living in a forest hut like a moron". and forking entire kernel single-handedly because you don't like how biggest technological conglomerates handle it so you could compete with them is pointless, moronic and impossible.
                  there is not much previous idiot could do other than buying/recommending the least proprietary stuff or becoming the head of some international firm but it still beats doing jack shit.

                  fuck yourself, take a shotgun, aim it to your head and push the trigger.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dfx. View Post
                    you both are goddamn idiots.

                    fuck yourself, take a shotgun, aim it to your head and push the trigger.

                    I think your post is totally "illegal".

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                      I think your post is totally "illegal".
                      I actually like his post and agree.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                        I think your post is totally stupid.

                        fixed it for you

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by dfx. View Post
                          if Linux wouldn't be useful in business, it wouldn't be used in business, right ? there is almost no business on the planet which is not using Linux in some manner, directly or indirectly. and there is better fucking be an organization that would speak with major businesses on behalf of Linux community.
                          Who's speaking with major businesses on behalf of Linux community? The Linux Foundation? Hahaha . The Linux Foundation is there to look after the interests of the Linux Foundation members, i.e., any big corporation that brings in a large sum of money. Like I said "He who pays the piper, calls the tune"

                          Originally posted by dfx. View Post
                          and concerning "many of whom use Linux as part of their proprietary, and encrypted, firmware", the problem with that is that there is no fucking one providing complete, 100% free/libre or even 100% open-source firmwares. so what they supposed to do, fart out a bunch of kind samaritans out of their asses ?
                          The problem is the Linux Foundation and Linus Torvalds, the head honcho of Linux who's employed by the Linux Foundation. Opposes GPLv3 and thinks Tivoization is a good thing. The guy doesn't give a rat's ass about freedom, and is just a corporate shill. If you value freedom then you must get the Linus out of Linux first.

                          Originally posted by dfx. View Post
                          and you are even bigger idiot for suggesting that being a fucking luddite in 21st century, century of tech and information, is a viable option.
                          no, it's not that simple, it's called "not doing a jack shit and living in a forest hut like a moron". and forking entire kernel single-handedly because you don't like how biggest technological conglomerates handle it so you could compete with them is pointless, moronic and impossible.
                          there is not much previous idiot could do other than buying/recommending the least proprietary stuff or becoming the head of some international firm but it still beats doing jack shit.
                          Agreed

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                            The problem is the Linux Foundation and Linus Torvalds, the head honcho of Linux who's employed by the Linux Foundation. Opposes GPLv3 and thinks Tivoization is a good thing. The guy doesn't give a rat's ass about freedom, and is just a corporate shill. If you value freedom then you must get the Linus out of Linux first.
                            as i said before if you feel that a product restricts you fredom DONT FUCKIN BUY IT and let them go under

                            its something freetards and morons don't seem to understand

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              @AnonymousCoward: Your stupidity amazes me. Linux Foundation cordinates and promotes the developement of Linux kernel. It's in behaf of everyone's intrest that the companies that make the hardwate that Linux is supposed to run on take part in the developement of the kernel itself . To make this possible we need a channel where the developers can communicate with each other and that's why we have Linux Foundation. It doesn't matter where the code comes from as long as it's free and open source. The code made by company employee isn't any less free than code made by hobbyist as long as it comes with the same licence. I really like to know how company involvement with Linux Foundation has made Linux any less free when in reality it has brought us free drivers for hardware that used to have only propietary blobs or no drivers at all. Linux being used in propietary systems is better than Linux not being used at all because it engourages the developement of Linux kernel that also make completely free systems possible. Purposely making it difficult for companies to contribute would be downright idiotic and I don't see why the "Linux community" would want Linux to fall into ruin.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X