Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pushing Reiser4 Is "Not Of High Priority"

Phoronix: Pushing Reiser4 Is "Not Of High Priority"

Edward Shishkin, the lone developer that took over development of the Reiser4 file-system following the conviction of Hans Reiser, has shared a new update with Phoronix regarding the efforts towards pushing Reiser4 into the mainline Linux kernel...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAwMjA

Well, at least those wackos linking the demise of Reiser4 to Jewish conspiracies I've seen here before will have answers... in front of their nose...

Comment

It's a shame as Reiser4's compression heuristics are far more advanced than BtrFS, which is either compress or don't compress

Comment

Please don't assassinate the English language. It's not even my native language, but reading that makes me wanna go blind :P

"it's development has been stagnate" -> "its development has been stagnant".

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Please don't assassinate the English language. It's not even my native language, but reading that makes me wanna go blind :P

"it's development has been stagnate" -> "its development has been stagnant".
          Or "its development has stagnated". Phoronix could really use an editor, even a volunteer. The content in the articles tends to be very interesting, but the delivery can sometimes leave something to be desired (understandable, given the workload for a single person).

Comment

+1 to guest articles and/or more editors.

Comment

Isn't it pushing it saying "Reiser4 had a bright future until Hans Reiser was arrested"? He was always fighting with the kernel devs, never making changes they wanted/demanded for inclusion, etc etc.

I think Reiser4 is very promising, and it feels like they really need to get it in if they want to speed up development. There is a reason why we have the "next-tree" and even the new staging drivers (or as it staging area?). If they finally get it in, I think the development will speed up greatly, both from a testing view and number of people interested in using it.

But since it's a file system, I guess there's now much room for "instability". But Btrfs was included very early on, despite this.

Comment

Solution:

Give Hans 3 hours a day for coding and see how the fs gains life again.... LOL

Comment

Originally posted by admiral0 View Post
                  Give Hans 3 hours a day for coding and see how the fs gains life again.... LOL
                  This is actually a good idea. Why not let the man do something that (he's good at and) other people can actually gain from?

Comment

That unfortunately will never happen. No one cares except us. And to be honest i would prefer reiser4 to btrfs. (read the wiki pages)

Comment

Working...
                    X