The VirtualBox Kernel Driver Is Tainted Crap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hyperdriver View Post
    I hope RedHat honors the open source spirit and shares the bug reports and proposed solutions to the Virtualbox team for the greater good of most everyone.

/K
    Great point and this would be the best route to take. Hopefully all virtualization solutions can benefit from things like this so they can become better and as bug free as can be. Virtualization is a big thing and having solid VM tools is very important.

Comment

Originally posted by tweak42 View Post
      Anyone know the status of KVM usb pass through support? Specifically at USB 2.0 transfer speeds. I googled around a little but could not find a definitive answer if it's implemented reliably or not.
      They are in the process of fixing the whole usb mess, including proper usb2 support. kvm 0.15 already includes some of that work. At least that's what I remember from the presentation slides of a kvm guy a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

The problem isn't virtual box, which runs phenominally well on windows platforms, the problem is that linux is a huge undocumented mess of spaghetti code.

Comment

Originally posted by Thatguy View Post
          The problem isn't virtual box, which runs phenominally well on windows platforms, the problem is that linux is a huge undocumented mess of spaghetti code.
          I disagree. VMware and Parallels both have to deal with that same "mess of spaghetti code" and still do a far better job.

Comment

Originally posted by tweak42 View Post
            Anyone know the status of KVM usb pass through support? Specifically at USB 2.0 transfer speeds. I googled around a little but could not find a definitive answer if it's implemented reliably or not.
            USB1.1 only at the moment I belive. It works reasonably well. You can hot add a USB device in pass through mode. Removing it, for me, has caused plenty of issues. Even unmounting and ejecting it properly in the guest. If you need permanent USB pass through support, should work. Not expect to hotplug USB disks lots and not rebooting the guest inbetween.
            Code:
            husb: device 2.4 disconnected
            for example was being spammed in my /var/log/lilbvirt/guest.log.

And you base this on? Other OSes are less Spaghetti because you saw that code? You speak of the kernel and it's api's?

Comment

I got huge problem with VirtualBox some time ago when I was testing it. Every time I started my virtual machine, Opera was crashing. I guess kernel module had to corrupt some memory used by Opera. Don't see other explanation. Not sure how it works now, with recent versions of VirtualBox.

Originally posted by baryluk View Post
              Strange. I am using VirtualBox moderatly often for 3 years now, and I'm always working on bleding edge kernel versions. I had never, ever had crash because of VirtualBox. Hover I had reported lots of problems with kernel itself (about 30 genuine new bugs), and it was always problem in kernel, not vboxdrv. So, now what, if I have loaded vboxdrv, developers will reject my bug reports automatically (even If I do nothing with virtualbox or guest system, beside loading module itself)? This is some bullshit.
              It's not do-able to track all memory access done by tained module. That would be required to be sure vboxdrv didn't corrupt anything.

Comment

One difficulty that VirtualBox has, is it supports many more platforms and guest OSes. It is like Windows; it can run on many different machines, unsupported and supported. This makes Windows fragile. Mac OS X runs only on a set hardware and there are less factors that can go wrong.

It is easier to support only a few OSes and few guest OS, than support many. I have now an support issue with VMware workstation, it crashed and they ask me for even more log files now. Duh

Comment

Originally posted by Zajec View Post
                  I got huge problem with VirtualBox some time ago when I was testing it. Every time I started my virtual machine, Opera was crashing. I guess kernel module had to corrupt some memory used by Opera. Don't see other explanation. Not sure how it works now, with recent versions of VirtualBox.
                  1. I start VirtualBox
                  2. Opera crashes
                  3. Therefore, VirtualBox is corrupting memory

That's one hell of a jump to that conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
                    1. I start VirtualBox
                    2. Opera crashes

Sounds like he's got a chair to keyboard interface error. I kid! I've really never had any of these issues with virtualbox on linux but I only ever use it on ubuntu and always use the official builds from the virtualbox repo.

Comment

Originally posted by Hohlraum View Post
                      Sounds like he's got a chair to keyboard interface error. I kid! I've really never had any of these issues with virtualbox on linux but I only ever use it on ubuntu and always use the official builds from the virtualbox repo.
                      Ditto, and I *do* run Opera as well.

Comment

OR some software vendors just don't invest as much on all platforms they support.

Comment

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
                          1. I start VirtualBox
                          2. Opera crashes

Sure it isn't any proof, just the easiest explanation for something I've observed to be very consistent. My Opera could run for days without crashing. And every time I've started virtual machine - bang - it crashed.
                          I'll test it again when I find some time, maybe will find out sth more and grab real proofs.

Comment

Originally posted by Zajec View Post
                            Sure it isn't any proof, just the easiest explanation for something I've observed to be very consistent. My Opera could run for days without crashing. And every time I've started virtual machine - bang - it crashed.
                            I'll test it again when I find some time, maybe will find out sth more and grab real proofs.
                            You should get backtraces and gather log info so that opera team can determine it it is an Opera issue or issue pointing to vbox. Do any other running browsers (for example firefox or chrome) or other programs crash when you start vbox? If so then it could be a memory corruption issue that the kernel team can investigate as well.

Comment

Vbox and my web browsers are really the only things I have running that us an inordinate amount of memory as well. How much memory do you have?

Comment

Working...
                              X