No announcement yet.

The VirtualBox Kernel Driver Is Tainted Crap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We were teased about some potentially new and interesting VB features... but haven't heard anything since.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
      VBox works for me and most likely the issues are due to bugs getting exposed as kernels get updated. maybe oracle is slowly poisoning vbox so that it could die a slow death so people would use its own crappy offerings??
      You are assuming that one always upgrade their kernels. Production boxes usually don't run the "latest and greatest" they run "stable, tried and true". Versionitis is a terrible thing to have an production systems especially when many times a kernel upgrade doesn't have any changes that would effect a system running an older kernel. Even so I have experienced fewer breakages with VMWare even after going through a kernel upgrade (yes a patch is needed a lot of times but it is a relatively painless procedure.

Comment

vbox or vmware are well running linux under windows . recently i use vmware 7&8 and it is real good when it comes to have 64bit working with a 32bit win xp . i use mostly mksquashfs to compile the live file , it seemed and continue to seem with new xp x64 as fast as under plain linux
        i switched to xp x64 and vmware 8 , the new vmware is largely better with the usb stick than previous .
        n.b. : running win 7 x64 under xp was nearly impossible

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
          This is not a big problem for Gentoo Linux users. The last time I had an issue was with the kernel 3.1-rc* releases, but someone had a patch for openvmtools. I ran the following command, which fixed everything:

Code:
          ebuild `equery which app-emulation/vmware-modules-264.0` prepare && wget
          -O - "http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/patch3031vmware741.patch" |
          patch -d /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/vmware-modules-264.0/work -p1 &&
          ebuild `equery which app-emulation/vmware-modules-264.0` merge
          The only real annoyance is the fetch restriction.
          Stop fucking the forums with these uber-long code blocks. Seriously, it's fucking annoying.
          Last edited by deanjo; 10-11-2011, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Just a quick(ish) comment as a member of the VirtualBox development team. I have only used VMWare a couple of times, so I won't comment on them or on comparisons to them (though I see that there are enough people with strong opinions in either direction, so I suspect there is an element of one failed to work as well as the other in some given situation). I do think though that Dave was a bit quick with name calling when he started the LKML thread. If you read his first post, it starts "The number of bug reports we get from people with virtualbox loaded are truly astonishing." Given that our kernel module is usually loaded when our software is installed, even if it is not currently in use, it is hardly surprising that people occasionally have kernel oopses when the module is present. I'm sure that some are related to our module (particularly as many people still use old versions with known issues), but assuming that even a large minority are is quite a jump.

Other than that, I'm very sorry that VirtualBox didn't fit all previous posters needs. Obviously there is always a bit of pressure between being conservative with new features and still providing the features everyone (and our customers!) want. I realise that IOMMU is still work in progress and that USB is not always problem-less (USB devices tend to be finicky creatures, just ask some of the people writing drivers for device classes!). Those wanting less features and more stability might note that we are still maintaining the 4.0 and 3.2 series. And people having issues with some particular kernel setup should note that we are open source and accept patches

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              Stop fucking the forums with these uber-long code blocks. Seriously, it's fucking annoying.
              That it is.

Comment

Originally posted by michael-vb View Post
                I realise that IOMMU is still work in progress and that USB is not always problem-less (USB devices tend to be finicky creatures, just ask some of the people writing drivers for device classes!).
                There is an understatement. Unless you are using it for USB storage, printer, or HID it is virtually useless (and on storage it is very slow).

Comment

Strange. I am using VirtualBox moderatly often for 3 years now, and I'm always working on bleding edge kernel versions. I had never, ever had crash because of VirtualBox. Hover I had reported lots of problems with kernel itself (about 30 genuine new bugs), and it was always problem in kernel, not vboxdrv. So, now what, if I have loaded vboxdrv, developers will reject my bug reports automatically (even If I do nothing with virtualbox or guest system, beside loading module itself)? This is some bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by baryluk View Post
                    Strange. I am using VirtualBox moderatly often for 3 years now, and I'm always working on bleding edge kernel versions. I had never, ever had crash because of VirtualBox. Hover I had reported lots of problems with kernel itself (about 30 genuine new bugs), and it was always problem in kernel, not vboxdrv. So, now what, if I have loaded vboxdrv, developers will reject my bug reports automatically (even If I do nothing with virtualbox or guest system, beside loading module itself)? This is some bullshit.
                    While I don't like the names that the kernel developers use, I can sympathise with them if they ask people to reproduce problems without vboxdrv loaded. Both the kernel and VirtualBox are highly complex pieces of software, and even if VirtualBox is entirely innocent of a particular issue (presumably most cases) it will make their life much harder if they have to debug the issue while understanding all potential interactions between VirtualBox (which they presumably are not familiar with) and the kernel.

Comment

Well vbox was not innocent with its 4.1.0 - there vbox broke suspend. But apart from that usually i dont see so huge problems.

Comment

The guest additions have been a big no-no in Linux for about a year or so. Virtualbox-ose works well for me, and the Windows guest additions work well, but I don't even waste my time on the Linux guest additions anymore.

Having said that, I still prefer Virtualbox to VMWare, unless you intend to use some of VMWare's more exotic features. Some of VMWare's tools are unbelievably buggy, like vCenter Converter, which has the feel of something that was developed in one day by one person, with no regard for making it polished.

Comment

vboxdrv is on the HOST.

Comment

I use VB mostly without problems. Tried VMware, it gave me headaches, plus it's not free.

Comment

I've been using vbox on Ubuntu for those occasions I need a windows xp machine. I probably would not trust it in a production environment, but as a handy work around tool for a desktop user it serves well. I do use the non-free windows guest tools and they work fine.

I do hope development continues and quality improves, because as a user it's always nice to have more choices and less lock in.
                              Last edited by tweak42; 10-11-2011, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tweak42 View Post
                                I've been using vbox on Ubuntu for those occasions I need a windows xp machine.
                                For that, I found qemu-kvm a much better choice. Sure, doesn't have a nice native gui, but once it's set up, it works forever.

Comment

Working...
                                X