Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Btrfs File-System For Old Computers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Btrfs File-System For Old Computers?

    Phoronix: Btrfs File-System For Old Computers?

    Recently I published benchmarks of Btrfs from a Serial ATA 3.0 SSD (the excellent OCZ Vertex 3 SSD) and those results were interesting, but most people aren't running 6Gb/s solid-state drives, so how does this next-generation file-system perform on the opposite end of the spectrum? In this article are EXT4 and Btrfs benchmarks from an old Core Duo notebook with a 5400RPM mobile hard drive.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=16474

  • #2
    A core2duo isn't old! Now a 4500 (or was it 4200?) RPM ide laptopdrive, now that is old!

    (Typing this from a T42 with a ide disk)

    I'm a little bummed that the most important 'safety' option has such a huge impact on performance Hopefully this will be fixed soon, as I'm going to be using this laptop for hopefully 2-3 more years.

    Comment


    • #3
      This isn't "old". It's just not high-end. If you refer to anything that's not high-end as "old", then 90% of stuff you can buy right now is "old" and is what most people are using.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by oliver View Post
        A core2duo isn't old! Now a 4500 (or was it 4200?) RPM ide laptopdrive, now that is old!
        Its not a Core 2 duo, its a core duo. There is a big difference between the two, for starters the core 2 duo is a lot faster, second its 6 years old. If you told someone you were using a p3 in 2006 they would tell you thats old crap, so yes it is old. On the other hand a core duo is still useful today, unlike a p3 would be in 2006.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by sc3252 View Post
          Its not a Core 2 duo, its a core duo. There is a big difference between the two, for starters the core 2 duo is a lot faster, second its 6 years old. If you told someone you were using a p3 in 2006 they would tell you thats old crap, so yes it is old. On the other hand a core duo is still useful today, unlike a p3 would be in 2006.
          The title is still misleading.
          When someone talks about "old computers", the usual is to picture this:
          http://www.compucanjes.com/prod_images/0000014491_1.jpg
          It usually means "crappy and utterly unusable junk".

          A core duo isn't junk. They are very useful today.
          A better example of an old computer is a P4. That's a very old processor and the limit of the obsolete.

          Comment


          • #6
            Still not old, old is the 2Ghz P4 Northwood w/ 384Mb PC2100, i845G chipset pushing a 30Gb 4200RPM HDD. Or the 800Mhz G4 PowerMac w/ 1Gb PC133, Radeon 7500 pushing a 7200 RPM HDD. Both are pretty damn old, but both are still more then usable in Linux, though they are pretty damn slow in OS X and Windows.

            Comment


            • #7
              One day computers will be useful and relevant 100 years after production.

              Comment


              • #8
                And you dub that rig "old" ?

                Come and take a look at mine
                Netrunner Linux - Rolling Release ; Nexus 5 ROM Chroma 5.1 ; NAS 6TB on FreeNAS

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                  Still not old, old is the 2Ghz P4 Northwood w/ 384Mb PC2100, i845G chipset pushing a 30Gb 4200RPM HDD. Or the 800Mhz G4 PowerMac w/ 1Gb PC133, Radeon 7500 pushing a 7200 RPM HDD. Both are pretty damn old, but both are still more then usable in Linux, though they are pretty damn slow in OS X and Windows.
                  Does the PowerMac G4 push OS X?
                  I learned something new!
                  I believed it worked only on x86 machines. I've never been a mac user and Wikipedia busted my false belief
                  --> it worked on it until Leopard 10.5 wow

                  any mac user can tell whether it chokes the hardware, or is it responsive? Leopard on a G4, I mean
                  Netrunner Linux - Rolling Release ; Nexus 5 ROM Chroma 5.1 ; NAS 6TB on FreeNAS

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    So what kind of risks are you facing if using the "nobarrier" option?

                    From a performance standpoint it seems like it might make sense to use lzo,nobarrier with OS partitions which don't get updated that often.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X