Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New GTK+ Release Integrates Gail, Redoes File Chooser

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
    so explain what the godlike stuff in KDE picker?
    I've exhausted all my trolling reserves. Gotta wait a few days to replenish them, sorry.

    ; )

    Comment


    • #17
      The file picker is, by a HUGE margin, the worst thing about GTK. It's awful. Any improvement is welcome, as it can hardly get any worse.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        The file picker is, by a HUGE margin, the worst thing about GTK. It's awful. Any improvement is welcome, as it can hardly get any worse.
        Can you explain this statement?
        I would've thought the primitive nature of the toolkit as a whole would be the worst thing. Certainly the API is nothing very pretty, and its all built upon dangerous and verbose C. Additionally, its not the most X-platform toolkit, and is, on its own, only gui related with no tools for handling media.
        Frankly, as it currently stands, gtk would be an embarrasment to mid-90s toolkits.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by liam View Post
          Can you explain this statement?
          I would've thought the primitive nature of the toolkit as a whole would be the worst thing. Certainly the API is nothing very pretty, and its all built upon dangerous and verbose C.
          This depends on what language you're talking about. GTK's native C api is disgusting, it's true; however, I find the C++ API (gtkmm) to be far more natural and sensible than the camel-cased, macro-laden nonsense that Qt uses.

          Not that I don't prefer Qt in almost every other respect, but their API is just... ugh.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by pdusen View Post
            This depends on what language you're talking about. GTK's native C api is disgusting, it's true; however, I find the C++ API (gtkmm) to be far more natural and sensible than the camel-cased, macro-laden nonsense that Qt uses.

            Not that I don't prefer Qt in almost every other respect, but their API is just... ugh.
            Well, I did specify C, but if you want to look at its bindings, then look at GIR and you can pick your language (is gtkmm even still being maintained?).

            As for the other respects, can you be more specific?

            Comment


            • #21
              go to gtkmm's website and click on news, they are still properly maintained, they apparently are caught up to gtk 3.0 or so.

              there are several current programs that use gtkmm as there gui api. and im pretty sure its a requirement to keep maintained as part of the gnome project.

              honestly, its always annoying when people compare gtk to qt based on how easy the api is. its not exactly fair to compare a c++ (with there awkward preprocessor..) api to a c api that basically uses preprocessor hacks to achieve a object oriented feel.

              gtkmm uses as much standard c++ libraries as it can, like the stl.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by benjamin545 View Post
                go to gtkmm's website and click on news, they are still properly maintained, they apparently are caught up to gtk 3.0 or so.

                there are several current programs that use gtkmm as there gui api. and im pretty sure its a requirement to keep maintained as part of the gnome project.

                honestly, its always annoying when people compare gtk to qt based on how easy the api is. its not exactly fair to compare a c++ (with there awkward preprocessor..) api to a c api that basically uses preprocessor hacks to achieve a object oriented feel.

                gtkmm uses as much standard c++ libraries as it can, like the stl.
                A lot of things are annoying when people talk about gtk/qt

                Comment

                Working...
                X