Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.0 Kernel Has Been Christened

Phoronix: Linux 3.0 Kernel Has Been Christened

Officially marking the introduction of Linux 3.x, Linus Torvalds this evening announced the official release of Linux 3.0...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTY5Mw

And now the one million question, the AMD/ATI proprietary drivers works with this kernel? Has anyone tested it?

Comment

No, not yet. Just saw that 3.0 was released. Though Kernelside was often better than the interaction with xorg-server. 1.10 didn't seem supported by fglrx 11-6.

Comment

Originally posted by Khudsa View Post
        And now the one million question, the AMD/ATI proprietary drivers works with this kernel? Has anyone tested it?
        Kernel changes can usually be worked around with a small patch.

Comment

Catalyst will support the new kernel whenever the beta version of Ubuntu that runs the 3.0 kernel comes out.
          Unless something unexpected happens

Comment

Recent Nvidia drivers have no problem with linux 3.0.

Comment

Who buys AMD hardware to run blob drivers??!?!?

Comment

FGLRX can run on 3.0 with 2.6.39 patchs...

Except if something big changed since the RC4, the last time I tested those infamous drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                  Who buys AMD hardware to run blob drivers??!?!?
                  Umm. Well. Not intentionally but when fglrx gives you >10W better powersave than Kernel-drivers? (or the years b4 when the difference was >80W in idle.) When KMS gives you all sorts of random freezes on you slightly eldery RV670 chip (dunno why but it kept freezing, fglrx went with 1 freeze/crash in 3 or 4 months). Though I suspect the hardware to have become flakey over time (was a HD 3870 106W TDP but passive cooling, somehow I have the impression that some GPU or VRAM chip might be damaged, it also messed up during windows gaming).

But I ordered a HD 5670 anyway and I'll check KMS on that again as soon as it arrives. And probably then right with a 3.0 kernel.

Comment

Code:
                    chris@chrisl ~ % uname -a
                    Linux chrisl 3.0.0-mainline #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jul 22 11:22:36 CEST 2011 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 480 @ 2.67GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
                    chris@chrisl ~ % fglrxinfo
                    display: :0.0  screen: 0
                    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
                    OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 6500M/5600/5700 Series
                    OpenGL version string: 4.1.10834 Compatibility Profile Context
                    chris@chrisl ~ %
                    Here is how it is built on Archlinux:
                    http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=41040

I use catalyst for the power saving too until https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=31000 is fixed. And until OpenGL 2+ support is working.

Comment

Working...
                    X