Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 3.0 Kernel Has Been Christened

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    wireless wol, can't wait to test the power consumption =)

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
      And until OpenGL 2+ support is working.
      Most of OpenGL 3 works, only GLSL support is slow to arrive.

      Dynamic powersaving is better with Catalyst atm, though.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        Most of OpenGL 3 works, only GLSL support is slow to arrive.

        Dynamic powersaving is better with Catalyst atm, though.
        OpenGL is also (vastly) better with Catalyst, not just power management.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          OpenGL is also (vastly) better with Catalyst, not just power management.
          Yes, it's faster and more featureful.

          On the other hand, video, desktop effects and most 2d stuff are far better on the open stack, and it's more stable.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            Most of OpenGL 3 works, only GLSL support is slow to arrive.
            Last time I checked there were still major problems with many games and wine and the lightning in Amnesia was broken.
            Maybe I will have to check again soon, but I doubt I can yet use it permanently on my laptop. It's "only" a HD 6550 (= HD 5650, thanks AMD for renaming cards into higher series) but it still little differences in the drivers are significant differences in battery consumption.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
              Last time I checked there were still major problems with many games
              This is a bit off-topic, but which games? Other than the small glitch in Amnesia, I can't think of any problems.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                This is a bit off-topic, but which games? Other than the small glitch in Amnesia, I can't think of any problems.
                With HD 5xxx half life 2 didn't run at all and X rather got a lockup. But that's some weeks or even months ago now. Can't really remember.
                That's why I said I may have to test again.

                Comment


                • #18
                  yes

                  Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                  With HD 5xxx half life 2 didn't run at all and X rather got a lockup. But that's some weeks or even months ago now. Can't really remember.
                  That's why I said I may have to test again.
                  I'm getting occasional GPU lockups in Nexuiz with effects set to "ultra". If effects are set to "high" the problem disappears. And this is indeed with HD 5650.

                  Confirmed with Mesa 7.11-rc2, 7.11-rc1-XXX and older ones from git. And currently using Linux 3.0.0-rc7-00088-g1765a36.

                  I think the problem has existed ever since I installed Nexuiz for testing (not too long ago) so it may not even be a regression.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by Khudsa View Post
                    And now the one million € question, the AMD/ATI proprietary drivers works with this kernel? Has anyone tested it?
                    Just upgraded my Debian SID machine to linux 3.0 with my ati 5750. It works just perfect out of the box.

                    Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    Who buys AMD hardware to run blob drivers??!?!?
                    I'm following the open source drivers development. They are amazing, and the people behind them too. From time to time I test them, but for now I don't want to hear a turbine next to my ear. I know that this is improving, and in the near future I will use only open source ones for all things.

                    I want to say also that catalyst aren't a bad drivers, but I think they are more focused to enterprise costumers.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      3.0 doesn't play nicely with multi-monitor setup for me. I'm running:
                      ATI Technologies Inc Device 68f1 (ATI FirePro™ 2460 Multi-View) with 4 x DisplayPort screens.

                      xrandr gives me:
                      xrandr: cannot find crtc for output

                      Switching back to 2.6.39 and everything works again just fine.
                      Rob
                      email: dagger@gentoo.org

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X