No announcement yet.

Plasma Active Is Slimming Down KDE's KWin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well,i hope kde works now on my samsung nc10 notebook.until now,i have no desktop effects.im forced to use gnome

Comment

Originally posted by lolren View Post
      Well,i hope kde works now on my samsung nc10 notebook.until now,i have no desktop effects.im forced to use gnome
      I believe the NC10 is just another Atom N270 + i945G netbook right? That's the same hardware of my Eee PC 1000H and I managed to run KWin with it just fine. I did have to do some hacks to be able to use compositing though. IIRC it's just a matter of going to the desktop effects configuration utility and deselect the compositing checks in the third tab, maybe disabling some incompatible effects like blur and probably restarting the session. Lastly, if none of this works try removing your kwinrc file from .kde4/share/config/

Comment

Sorry, but that just doesn't look good and it's a big mess all around. All those tiny icons scattered around the top panel, the navigation through menu after menu to find the program you're after, it's just not a good example of what a modern desktop looks like. I've seen much better KDE desktops than that one. I do give you one thing and that's the great quality of the desktop background. The last KDE's default wallpapers have been really great. Can't say the same about Ubuntu 11.04... luckily we can change the background easily

Comment

That just further shows everything I hate about kde. So cluttered. Both gnome 2 and gnome 3 are far cleaner. I've installed and customized KDE quite a bit before, and it can be made to look real clean on first login, but I still end up running into cluttered UI's everywhere.

I do like some of the things KDE is doing. They have some really cool, modern stuff going on under the hood. But for me the interface is my worst nightmare.

Comment

KDE's composited performance on the open source radeon driver was horrible up until about a year ago, but the driver has drastically improved since then to the point where I have no complaints. This is on Fedora.

As for the menus, both KDE and Gnome have quick keyboard based launchers that I find much better than any menu/icon based launcher. Alt+F2, type the first 3 letters and what I want to launch, and it is instantly found. I literally have no icons on my desktop. KDE configuration dialogs need a lot of tidying up -- there's absolutely no denying that -- but I put up with that because I prefer eventually finding what I'm looking for to quickly finding out that what I'm looking for isn't an option. If for whatever reason I had to mess with the settings more often it'd be a problem, but I've had the same home directory for years, and everything is already set the way I like it.

Comment

Working...
            X