Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Systemd Is Now One Year Old; Why You Should Use It

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Systemd Is Now One Year Old; Why You Should Use It

    Phoronix: Systemd Is Now One Year Old; Why You Should Use It

    The systemd project as a new init daemon for Linux has turned one year old. The first widespread usage of it will occur next month when Fedora 15 ships with systemd while others -- sans Ubuntu at this point -- will also follow suit. But why should you use systemd?..

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTM5NQ

  • #2
    (Pardon the terse post, just landed in Europe.)
    ... OK, that explains the early post and the use of the French language. :-)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Armin View Post
      ... OK, that explains the early post and the use of the French language. :-)
      Ah ah, I had to read the news 3 times to find where the fuck you found some French

      "sans" was the word.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MPF View Post
        Ah ah, I had to read the news 3 times to find where the fuck you found some French

        "sans" was the word.
        You forget "pardon".

        Comment


        • #5
          While I admit that it's not as modern as systemd, I still really like Gentoo's OpenRC and I think it does tick a fair few of those boxes. It's a shame the original developer abandoned it because I'm sure many of these features would have appeared if he hadn't. There has been talk of Gentoo moving to systemd but in the shorter term, it needs to stabilise OpenRC and get rid of the ageing baselayout-1. This isn't long away now.

          Comment


          • #6
            Btw, does Fedora 15 (beta/daily) already ship with GRUB2 by default or still with the legacy one?

            Comment


            • #7
              been a while using systemd in arch. Happy with the current state.

              Comment


              • #8
                The Ubuntu condition.

                1. It's a shame to see the latest systemd package I can get for Ubuntu is systemd-19, when Debian Experimental already has systemd-25.
                2. To force Ubuntu to use systemd, they'll need a punch in the face. Not a real one, but a figurative one resulting from systemd + normal kernel being faster to boot than upstart + ureadahead. Upstart is already beaten, but ureadahead is a tough one: Fedora 15 is close, but still it can't match the Ubuntu boot speed.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  Btw, does Fedora 15 (beta/daily) already ship with GRUB2 by default or still with the legacy one?
                  GRUB 2 is available in the repo but not as default. That's possibly something for Fedora 16 along with Btrfs by default and other major changes

                  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anacon...Grub2Migration

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Stopped reading after the first point. When "Interfacing via D-Bus" is painted as a good thing, you just know nothing good will come after that.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Isn't D-Bus hate getting a bit old now? It's obviously here to stay. I'm not clear on the reasons against it. Breaking "everything is a file" is probably one of them. If it were that easy to map it onto a filesystem, surely someone would have done it by now? I think speed was another but I don't know if that's still an issue. What do you propose instead?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DeiF View Post
                        You forget "pardon".
                        oh, this one is often used in the UK

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Systemd support in Archlinux is good, add e4rat and is easy to get fast booting procces.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                            While I admit that it's not as modern as systemd, I still really like Gentoo's OpenRC and I think it does tick a fair few of those boxes. It's a shame the original developer abandoned it because I'm sure many of these features would have appeared if he hadn't. There has been talk of Gentoo moving to systemd but in the shorter term, it needs to stabilise OpenRC and get rid of the ageing baselayout-1. This isn't long away now.
                            openrc is still maintained and what features are missing?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
                              1. It's a shame to see the latest systemd package I can get for Ubuntu is systemd-19, when Debian Experimental already has systemd-25.
                              2. To force Ubuntu to use systemd, they'll need a punch in the face. Not a real one, but a figurative one resulting from systemd + normal kernel being faster to boot than upstart + ureadahead. Upstart is already beaten, but ureadahead is a tough one: Fedora 15 is close, but still it can't match the Ubuntu boot speed.
                              Interesting, I was thinking of testing systemd in Kubuntu Natty. Are you using systemd frome here?

                              https://wiki.ubuntu.com/systemd

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X