Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Systemd Is Now One Year Old; Why You Should Use It

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #51
    No surround sound PA profiles

    Originally posted by jcgeny View Post
    i have a xfi hd from auz3n , with fedora 14 it plays only stereo despite i use Digital Output / S/PDIF .
    do you think i would get 5.1 if i remove pulse audio ?

    what kind of command line i should use ?
    If PulseAudio/Gnome/whatever could finally add "*Digital* Surround 4.0+" profiles, that would be amazing!

    Right now to get it working it still seems to require a hack: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10066349

    If it can output digitally to two speakers I don't understand why there's a problem with making a profile for more than that.

    Comment


    • #52
      I tried it... I didn't like it...

      Well, I tried systemd last weekend and from the exeperience I had, I don't want to replace SysV with something that controls what (some) developers think "its best for you"...

      1) Why load all system daemons by default?

      2) Why enable syslog if dmesg already gives me what I want?

      3) Why do I need to fsck my system everytime I boot, even when I cleanly shutdown my system?

      4) Why can't I autologin to my OpenBox installation without needing to bloat my system with a login manager?

      Sorry if I seem to be trolling, but personally, I WANT control of what I boot (and do) in my system...

      The only improvement I got with systemd vs SysV was the shutdown time... The load time got bigger than what I have using SysV init scripts...

      If someone can answer me a way of getting rid of the following systemd "features" I mentioned above, I'll try it again...

      Cheers

      Comment


      • #53
        Originally posted by evolution View Post
        Well, I tried systemd last weekend and from the exeperience I had, I don't want to replace SysV with something that controls what (some) developers think "its best for you"...

        1) Why load all system daemons by default?
        I think I've read enough right there, if not on the first paragraph. Do you honestly believe that a program would be written to force all available daemons on a machine to auto-start? That would be a virus...

        Obviously which ones you want to load is configurable.

        Comment


        • #54
          Obviously which ones you want to load is configurable.
          Yes, maybe, at some instance (I could disable some of the systemd .service instances), but with the lack of documentation I found on systemd, it didn't convice me to switch from the "old" SysV init scripts... I'd like to find some more advanced documentation to try it better, OC...

          Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
          I think I've read enough right there, if not on the first paragraph. Do you honestly believe that a program would be written to force all available daemons on a machine to auto-start? That would be a virus...
          Ok, fine then, if you don't have auto fsck at startup it's up to you... (Is there any way to disable it with systemd?)

          And, btw, a virus is a program that does what you told before AND self-propagates into the network... You maybe meant a TROJAN...

          Cheers

          Comment


          • #55
            Originally posted by evolution View Post
            Yes, maybe, at some instance (I could disable some of the systemd .service instances), but with the lack of documentation I found on systemd, it didn't convice me to switch from the "old" SysV init scripts... I'd like to find some more advanced documentation to try it better, OC...
            You can use your old SysV scripts.

            BTW if fsck at startup is faster than SysV or Startup without fsck at startup, I have to seriously ask how lame your (not you) troll attempts are :')

            Comment

            Working...
            X