Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDM In KDE SC 4.7 To Play With GRUB2

Phoronix: KDM In KDE SC 4.7 To Play With GRUB2

The KDM code for KDE SC 4.7 has just gained one small but noteworthy feature: GRUB2 support. While the KDE Display Manager gaining support for the GRUB2 boot-loader may seem nonchalant, it's actually quite useful. Now from the KDE Display Manager, users are able to select another GRUB boot entry without affecting the default choice or having to wait for the boot-loader to appear when rebooting...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool feature,

is there any login manager or tool except KDM that already supports GRUB2?

Comment

Awesome. I hope GDM will get the same feature.

Comment

Originally posted by marwi509 View Post
        Awesome. I hope GDM will get the same feature.
        same , i also wish they will extend this gui to configuration of the kernel and firmwares [8
        that should be great to make kernel slimy ;']

Comment

this is pretty cool, i've always been a fan of kdm because of how many more features it offers over other login screens.

it'd be nice if there was an overall grub2 graphical interface. grub2 isn't difficult to modify but in some instances it is moreso than grub 1.

Comment

Got to admit this one took me a bit by surprise. You could do this with Grub .97 for so long that I assumed that grub 2 and kdm would of had this a long time ago.

Comment

This is one definitely cool feature to have as it'll make it much easier to switch OS's without always going thru the grub2 menu by simply logging out of your session and selecting a grub2 entry and off you go!

Comment

KDM + Grub + SELinux interactions

Out of the box, SELinux doesn't allow KDM to make these Grub modifications
                See: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=660148

As mentioned in that report, there is a SELinux boolean you can use. Even with it set though it still won't work. It's easiest to just disable SELinux if you want KDM to control Grub.

Comment

KDM doesn't work with Grub 0.9. There's an entry, but it's bugged and does absolutely nothing.

Distributions usually fix that on every release, but the fix never made it upstream for years.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Got to admit this one took me a bit by surprise. You could do this with Grub .97 for so long that I assumed that grub 2 and kdm would of had this a long time ago.
                    Its not the KCM, its not really editing the confi file, it's just "reboot on windows the next time, keep the default for all other". Sure the Grub KDE KCM module still exist (well, its not the same, but one exist), but this is an other thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X