Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Version 1.0 Of Enlightenment Foundation Libraries

Phoronix: Version 1.0 Of Enlightenment Foundation Libraries

If you missed it this Friday night, version 1.0 of the core Enlightenment Foundation Libraries (EFL) have been released...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTA1Nw

Well I'll be damned. With hell frozen, Duke Nukem Forever shipping, and e17 reaching 1.0, what the heck are we supposed to use as a metaphor for "never"?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      Well I'll be damned. With hell frozen, Duke Nukem Forever shipping, and e17 reaching 1.0, what the heck are we supposed to use as a metaphor for "never"?
      yep

the enlightenment people just created a BIIIIIIIIIIG problem for all of us.

On topic with "correct" native apps it can become a really attractive choice as a Desktop Environment

Comment

I think this is just the libraries, not the whole desktop? Still, never thought I'd see the day.

Comment

Come, now. Hell be definitely frozen, but we've only been told Duke Nukem Forever be shipping. And While EFL has hit 1.0, Enlightenment itself?

Comment

Hahahaha damn, you did the Duke Nukem reference before I had the chance

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              yep the enlightenment people just created a BIIIIIIIIIIG problem for all of us.

On topic with "correct" native apps it can become a really attractive choice as a Desktop Environment
              I guess it's cool that they're still working their way forward, but what I don't get is why we're not seeing a bigger adoption of E17. I know I'm repeating things that people has said a hundred times, but E16 is a million years old and looks like crap (imho) and E17 was a really nice and ambitious idea when it was spawned, but that's also 10 years ago.

Why hasn't E17 been pushed into repos and package handlers more fervently? I mean, Gentoo for instance doesn't have a E17 package, except via an overlay (which is of course a nice way of handling it since overlays was introduced). I seems like the e17 dev(s) should have done an "release-early-release-often"-approach and also should have been working to get e17 into distributions, just to get the user-base numbers up.

Or am I completely wrong here?

Comment

The adoption (in distros etc) i think has to do with not being release quality and by that i mean that although it was stable a lot of things could have changed until its official release.

What is also needed is native apps in order to be able to built a complete Desktop environment. Some might argue with native but IMO if you want to offer a pleasant quality experience you don't want your desktop to look like a patchwork.

What i would love to see in the future is: e17-XUL for mozilla apps (firefox integration and why not thinderbird), an xmms2 frontend (yes i know xmms2 is not ready), mplayer frontend, frontend for telepathy (for IM, VOIP, the lot), text editor, photo editor/manager, libre office integration, little tools here and there (ie. pulse audio mixer) etc.

Also a backend for Wayland when its ready

However knowing that they have extremely limited manpower and far less support from companies i don't expect that much except if they manage to built a big community.

Comment

How many decades will it take until Enlightenment finally hits 1.0? I mean, they started developing version 0.17 (yes, there is a leading zero) 10 years ago.
                  Does this mean that with the release of EFL 1.0 they're halfway though with finishing 0.17? If it takes them 20 years to develop a 0.01 version jump and they plan to release 0.180.99, then it will be 1660 years before they hit 1.00.

Call me old-fashioned but I'd like to use software that actually hits a stable release at least once in my life time and not waits for the second coming of Jesus to hit 1.0

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    How many decades will it take until Enlightenment finally hits 1.0? I mean, they started developing version 0.17 (yes, there is a leading zero) 10 years ago.
                    Does this mean that with the release of EFL 1.0 they're halfway though with finishing 0.17? If it takes them 20 years to develop a 0.01 version jump and they plan to release 0.180.99, then it will be 1660 years before they hit 1.00.

Call me old-fashioned but I'd like to use software that actually hits a stable release at least once in my life time and not waits for the second coming of Jesus to hit 1.0
                    Changing the numbering system won't do much - making it 1.00 doesn't magically make something "stable".

Comment

Working...
                    X