Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Finds New Love With Qt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Well, at least Gtk 2.x has to die. It looks like ass on anything but Gtk-based DEs. Every time I fire up a Gtk app on KDE, I want to kill a bunny and curse at God for allowing people to create such monstrosities. Hopefully Gtk 3 solved that?
    You're funny

    Comment


    • #22
      If this means Brasero's out and K3B's in, I'm all for it.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by DanL View Post
        If this means Brasero's out and K3B's in, I'm all for it.
        No chance, since (a) K3B relies on kdelibs, not just Qt and (b) it sucks compared to Brasero.

        The size issue can be solved simply enough: remove Rhythmbox and Totem and install Banshee (the new one, with DVD support). There, problem solved.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          [K3B] sucks compared to Brasero.
          You're joking, right? Either that, or you're totally blind.

          PS:
          If you really are blind, my apologies.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            Replace tomboy with gnote and throw away gbrainy and the mono runtime and all its dependencies. There, space problem pretty much solved.
            That would be perfect, if some idiot hadn't chosen to replace rhythmbox with banshee...

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
              No chance, since (a) K3B relies on kdelibs, not just Qt and (b) it sucks compared to Brasero.

              The size issue can be solved simply enough: remove Rhythmbox and Totem and install Banshee (the new one, with DVD support). There, problem solved.
              Not a chance. The smartest and most efficient way (mono apps are damn slow and bloated compared to C,C++ and Vala apps; if you want to see a benchmark just say) is to get rid of crap called mono and thus mono based applications. Imagine how much space will be left. Then install Clementine. Btw. I like this Canonical move.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                Not a chance. The smartest and most efficient way (mono apps are damn slow and bloated compared to C,C++ and Vala apps; if you want to see a benchmark just say) is to get rid of crap called mono and thus mono based applications. Imagine how much space will be left. Then install Clementine. Btw. I like this Canonical move.
                Too bad (for you) that Mono facilitates best-of-breed applications. We'll be seeing more of it as time passes, you can bet on this.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  You're joking, right? Either that, or you're totally blind.
                  No, I'm 100% serious. I have both installed and I prefer Brasero by leaps and bounds. It's simple, clean and it works perfectly.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                    No, I'm 100% serious. I have both installed and I prefer Brasero by leaps and bounds. It's simple, clean and it works perfectly.
                    Translation: Lacks functionality, configurability and works just as well. Yep. Those are the "good" apps nowadays, I guess.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
                      Basically what Gallium is for graphics drivers is what is needed on this front too, fully agreed. In other words, abstracting/separating the actual visual look/theme from the underlying GUI core. Then if you wanted to use GTK for the core, or Qt for the core, it wouldn't matter as it'd still look the same..
                      This abstraction already exist, it is called Qt!

                      Applications written against the Qt API will use whatever toolkit your DE is using behind the scene, be that Win32, Carbon, Gtk+ or Qt...

                      Yes, that means Qt applications will render the GUI using Gtk+ by default when running on GNOME, making them look like native Gtk+ applications (because when running on GNOME they are native Gtk+ applications).

                      Unfortunately the converse is not true for Gtk+ applications running on KDE.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X