Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Novell's Finally Sold: Going To Attachmate & Microsoft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    If Microsoft buys UNIX intellectual property....

    Comment


    • #17
      Microsoft goes on the market with stocks/shares. Somebody invests in these shares. So somebody owns part of Microsoft and would seriously like it if Microsoft's dominance stays dominant.

      Now a company (Attachmate) of three investors (Francisco Partners, Golden Gate and Thoma Cressey), that combined have (5+9+1.5=)$15.5 billion in assets, bought Novell. One of these companies with $1.5 billion in assets is Thoma Cressey, part of Attachmate.

      Thoma Cressey has Microsoft assets.

      FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by philcostin View Post
        If Microsoft buys UNIX intellectual property....
        What will happen then? Please finish your thought, it sounds ominous.

        Note that Microsoft certainly dabbles in Unix IP. They ship a POSIX layer for Windows and have developed a number of Linux drivers (plus they have swallowed countless companies) - to think otherwise is rather naive.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          Microsoft goes on the market with stocks/shares. Somebody invests in these shares. So somebody owns part of Microsoft and would seriously like it if Microsoft's dominance stays dominant.

          Now a company (Attachmate) of three investors (Francisco Partners, Golden Gate and Thoma Cressey), that combined have (5+9+1.5=)$15.5 billion in assets, bought Novell. One of these companies with $1.5 billion in assets is Thoma Cressey, part of Attachmate.

          Thoma Cressey has Microsoft assets.

          FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!
          Eh, you are stretching things a bit. What if someone owns Microsoft- and Linux-related stock?

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
            Luckily I decided to use Linux Mint on my girls parents machine, not openSuse. On the other hand, its pretty sad if most of ideas done by german hackers will be transfered to microsoft. Like they don't have enough, they are just expanding the monopoly.
            I don't think that this is a real danger. SUSE hackers are as Linux as you can get, being one of the oldest Linux players around.

            The only potential problem is with bogus or non-bogus IP lawsuits, or (more likely) the FUD relating to these.

            Microsoft is not as incompetent as Darl McBride and similar clowns.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by philcostin View Post
              If Microsoft buys UNIX intellectual property....
              Nothing will happen. Nothing to see here, move along!

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                Nothing will happen. Nothing to see here, move along!
                Attachmate gets more money if Microsoft gets more money. Microsoft will not sue, but Attachmate can. There is no Novell to defend itself. 15,5 billion dollars is enough to withstand IBM.

                Now @BlackStar; Linux will earn them nothing. A Microsoft desktop monopoly will earn them a shitload of money. If I didn't care about FLOSS then I know what I would do.

                Alternatively, since Novell sponsored development of Linux may stop, Attachmate could bogus sue Red Hat to death, stopping their development too. Attachmate might not win, but damage can be done. Red Hat's commercial marketing and the only valuable Linux certification stops too. Not to mention Red Hat Linux being the only cerified Linux OS on the planet, stopping serious business adoption, total government adoption and an go to icon in its tracks.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Wait, what about Apple? And Federal Trade Commission?

                  You may hate Stallman for eating something from his feet, yet I love him for GNU GPL!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    Attachmate gets more money if Microsoft gets more money. Microsoft will not sue, but Attachmate can. There is no Novell to defend itself. 15,5 billion dollars is enough to withstand IBM.

                    Now @BlackStar; Linux will earn them nothing. A Microsoft desktop monopoly will earn them a shitload of money. If I didn't care about FLOSS then I know what I would do.

                    Alternatively, since Novell sponsored development of Linux may stop, Attachmate could bogus sue Red Hat to death, stopping their development too. Attachmate might not win, but damage can be done. Red Hat's commercial marketing and the only valuable Linux certification stops too. Not to mention Red Hat Linux being the only cerified Linux OS on the planet, stopping serious business adoption, total government adoption and an go to icon in its tracks.
                    Why would a VC trio sue Red Hat? If they are indirectly, ehm, encouraged by Microsoft, you can bet the FTC will fall upon them like a flock of hungry crows.

                    Besides, what's there to sue about? The IP went to Microsoft, not Attachmate (more on that below). Attachmate may or may not have got the Unix trademark (I think Novell sold that back in 1996 or so, but I'm not sure) but that's not an issue (GNU's not Unix ;-).) They also got the source code for SUSE, Mono et al and that's about it. Most of this is safe (MIT/X11 and (L)GPL) and Red Hat doesn't use Novell's closed stuff anyway.

                    What's more worrying is the IP transfer from Novell to Microsoft. In short, Microsoft bought 882 patents from Novell (that's their whole portfolio, give or take a few), which is bound to cover some juicy bits. Now, Microsoft's intent is unclear here, and that's kinda worrying. My guess is they will be used in the mobile patent clusterfuck (Apple vs Google/Android vs Blackberry vs new Win7Mo) and might prove useful against Oracle in the not-too-distant future.

                    It is also possible that we will see some strengthened FUD against Linux but a direct attack is highly unlikely.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                      What's more worrying is the IP transfer from Novell to Microsoft. In short, Microsoft bought 882 patents from Novell (that's their whole portfolio, give or take a few), which is bound to cover some juicy bits.
                      Hmm... The statement reads "Novell also announced it has entered into a definitive agreement for the concurrent sale of certain intellectual property assets to CPTN Holdings LLC".
                      Found the exact figure you mentioned first here.
                      That's very creepy... Taken from here:
                      For the record, there are no court filings for CPTN or any record of the consortium until today.
                      So... Another patent troll?

                      Gonna have to wait till the dust settles I guess...

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                        Hmm... The statement reads "Novell also announced it has entered into a definitive agreement for the concurrent sale of certain intellectual property assets to CPTN Holdings LLC".
                        Found the exact figure you mentioned first here.
                        That's very creepy... Taken from here:

                        So... Another patent troll?

                        Gonna have to wait till the dust settles I guess...
                        Maybe, maybe not. I guess not, at least for the near future.

                        About those 882 patents being their whole portfolio:
                        Originally posted by http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1878860&cid=34307338
                        NOVL has now filed its 8K. The IP deal is for 882 patents.

                        A quick search of the Patent-Pair Assignment database indicates that this likely every "friggin" patent Novell owns. That is Patent-Pair has 1711 entries with Novell as an assignee, but since these include duplicate application and granted patents, as well as other stuff, the total patents sold down the river to Redmond likely represents everything touched by Novell.
                        Unfortunately, you have to be a registered lawyer to access the database so I cannot verify the number myself.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Of course, Microsoft may have something else in their minds entirely.

                          Microsoft (TM) Enterprise Unix (TM) 2012 Small Business Professional Server Edition R2

                          Oh, god.

                          (Anyone knows how to add TM marks?)

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            After reading the wikipedia entry of the Attachmate corporation, I am not very amused that this corporation buys the most parts of Novell

                            This corporation is the largest private Software corporation in Washington. They produce monitoring and security software among other software types.
                            I guess this corporation has a bright future with those huge cyberwar spendings in the US

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                              Maybe, maybe not. I guess not, at least for the near future.

                              About those 882 patents being their whole portfolio:
                              [Slashdot link]
                              From Slashdot too:
                              There is a threat here, but it has nothing to do with the Unix copyrights. We have already established really, really well that the Unix copyrights are irrelevant at this late date. They can't be used like patents to enforce against other similar works. They were released under an unterminating BSD license and covered by a government standard. Forget them.

                              What they got was 481 patents that were part of a portfolio that Open Invention Network had previously used to defend Linux against patent suits. So, this is escalation in the patent war they are running against Linux, because they just removed one of our defensive weapons.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I tought Novell donated patents to OIN. Since they were donated, OIN became their owner, and they can not be undonated and sold to anybody by Novell. Are you sure OIN lost those "defensive patents" ?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X