Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ~200 Line Linux Kernel Patch That Does Wonders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • kerneloftruth, i got an interesting investigation. if you compile kernel 2.6.36 with ck patches, instead of the zen for bfs, you will get the exact same amount of interactivity in both 2.6.36 and 2.6.37 versions. so, that means the problem isn't in bfs, but apparently some sorta change in zen kernel. ok, so i tried zen kernel with the second patch (most of the patches in the first one are already there) with cfs autogroup and all those cgroup option, and i am pretty impressed with the performance increase. i can again compile with 4 jobs and still play video games and watch hd videos on youtube at the same time.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by raj7095 View Post
      u say u dont have smt, correct? i do, on a dual core, maybe that makes a difference in the new bfs. oh well, i will just stick to kerneloftruth's patches or the 2.6.36 version of zen kernel.
      sorry, i got confused with all the machines i''ve got. I have a dual core T4300 (2 cores w/o SMT ), i3-530 (2 cores with SMT), i7-920 (4 cores with SMT). All of them seem to run 2.6.37-ck1 just fine, but my desktop machine (the one I wrote about yesterday) is the i3-530 with SMT.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by raj7095 View Post
        kerneloftruth, i got an interesting investigation. if you compile kernel 2.6.36 with ck patches, instead of the zen for bfs, you will get the exact same amount of interactivity in both 2.6.36 and 2.6.37 versions. so, that means the problem isn't in bfs, but apparently some sorta change in zen kernel. ok, so i tried zen kernel with the second patch (most of the patches in the first one are already there) with cfs autogroup and all those cgroup option, and i am pretty impressed with the performance increase. i can again compile with 4 jobs and still play video games and watch hd videos on youtube at the same time.
        glad it helps with the interactivity on your desktop

        but the largest bulk of those patches are NOT included in zen

        Comment


        • i found another weird result. if you compile firefox on one kernel, it will work the best just on that specific kernel. i dont get it???

          Comment


          • Originally posted by raj7095 View Post
            i found another weird result. if you compile firefox on one kernel, it will work the best just on that specific kernel. i dont get it???
            dunno how that could be

            only in the case that CFLAGS might not have been handed over correctly to gcc and using

            -march=native

            if you're still looking for some newer (2.6.37-ish) kernel that is similar to zen

            try out my patchset: 2.6.37_plus kernel with coordinate flush, kztmem or TOI

            kztmem seems to improve things (in addition to the patches already offered in zen) even more

            Comment


            • Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
              dunno how that could be

              only in the case that CFLAGS might not have been handed over correctly to gcc and using

              -march=native

              if you're still looking for some newer (2.6.37-ish) kernel that is similar to zen

              try out my patchset: 2.6.37_plus kernel with coordinate flush, kztmem or TOI

              kztmem seems to improve things (in addition to the patches already offered in zen) even more
              co-incidentally, i just stumbled across that patchset today myself. i am currently compiling it with kztmem, and custom optimization flags, -O3 -march=native -pipe -flto -floop-parallelize-all -floop-block -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -ftree-loop-linear -fexcess-precision=fast
              i can see a huge set of nice-sounding patches that i never saw in zen kernel before. this patchset looks amazing looking at the improvement list. just one question, what is kztmem? i remember the zram option said something about increasing performance a lot, and kztmem needs zram, so i am assuming it tries to use zram as much as possible for programs that can make its use, is that correct?

              Comment


              • nice, it boots up. interesting, cursor doesn't stop at all. i mean really, i click on firefox and while its loading and dont see a single slowdown while i am moving it. this seems like a very good start. i will see how well it performs compared to the zen kernel. it gave me an amazing first impression, thats for sure.

                Comment


                • download link for the patch?

                  Originally posted by dagger View Post
                  Just tested this patch and from what I can see it doesn't make anything faster. It makes everything *MUCH* smoother by reducing resources to processes which use a lot of CPU - (like make -j64 on linux kernel). Compilation takes a bit longer, but system is fully usable during that time.

                  This is by far one of the best patches I've tested so far! Outstanding work. Thanks for bringing that up!
                  Hi, where can I download this patch so that I can try it?

                  Comment


                  • Download 2.6.38-rc3, there is the patch in.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by towo2099 View Post
                      Download 2.6.38-rc3, there is the patch in.
                      Hi towo2099,
                      Thanks for that. I'm downloading it now...Will be trying it out. By the way, would I need to recompile the kernel and configure the kernel with any specific settings? Is kernel pre-emption set to ON, timer frequency set 1000Hz and the lot done by default?
                      I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro.
                      Looking forward to experiencing the "smoothness" boost with this patch!

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X