Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ~200 Line Linux Kernel Patch That Does Wonders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by misiu_mp View Post
    I see quite some potential in this. Maybe linux will become the first 'always responsive' modern UI system. It makes image processing on a netbook possible. Will still take awfully long time, but you'll be able to forget about it while browsing or watching videos.
    I've seen this in Windows Vista and increasingly in Windows 7. People say that Windows 7 is so much faster, while in fact it's as slow as Vista, but it's UI is faster. In some situations the apps are even slower in Windows 7 while the UI is still 'silky-smooth'.

    I want this for Linux too, badly!

    Comment


    • I haven't seen any music/video skips on high cpu or IO load, when the load's ionice -c3 nice -n19. (idle IO prio + lowest CPU prio).

      Comment


      • Originally posted by curaga View Post
        I haven't seen any music/video skips on high cpu or IO load, when the load's ionice -c3 nice -n19. (idle IO prio + lowest CPU prio).
        Naturally - the load can be controlled with classical priorities as it always could. It is rather tedious to always remember to set them though.
        This patch solves the problem automatically. Also when having more groups of applications running at the same time, it would be very difficult to adjust the priorities the classical way. Grouping will allow for a different way of dealing with this.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          I've seen this in Windows Vista and increasingly in Windows 7. People say that Windows 7 is so much faster, while in fact it's as slow as Vista, but it's UI is faster. In some situations the apps are even slower in Windows 7 while the UI is still 'silky-smooth'.
          Interesting to know what scheduling tricks do they use for the UI. Is it a generic solution or could it be just one UI process with higher priority?

          Comment


          • Let me know when it hits kernel mainline ppa.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Beiruty View Post
              Let me know when it hits kernel mainline ppa.
              Of course. I will personally make sure You are immediately informed... That is because I as many others here have completely devoted my servitude towards your mainline ppa needs.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by misiu_mp View Post
                Of course. I will personally make sure You are immediately informed... That is because I as many others here have completely devoted my servitude towards your mainline ppa needs.
                I too am at your service allways. It is clear to me this patch is something you really need.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by misiu_mp View Post
                  Of course. I will personally make sure You are immediately informed... That is because I as many others here have completely devoted my servitude towards your mainline ppa needs.
                  Thanks, very much appreciated

                  Comment


                  • I hope systemd will come up with a real solution for this .... otherwise this would be the job of GUI developers.
                    But temporarily this patch will be nice sine I compile many things and sometimes its slows video-playback to much.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Ragas View Post
                      I hope systemd will come up with a real solution for this .... otherwise this would be the job of GUI developers.
                      But temporarily this patch will be nice sine I compile many things and sometimes its slows video-playback to much.
                      Personally I don't think systemd is the right place to do it. Firstly systemd is NOT used by every distribution - hell right now none is even using it yet. It will take lots of time before it's mature enough to replace current solutions. Kernel on the other hand is used by every distribution. Secondly I believe it should be done in kernel level anyway.
                      Rob
                      email: dagger@gentoo.org

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X