Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lightspark 0.4.4.2 Brings Plug-in Based Audio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lightspark 0.4.4.2 Brings Plug-in Based Audio

    Phoronix: Lightspark 0.4.4.2 Brings Plug-in Based Audio

    Just two weeks ago was a new Lightspark release that brought a variety of interesting changes to this open-source project that's implementing the Adobe Flash/SWF specification. At that point we also learned from its lead developer that Lightspark 0.4.5 would bring support for multiple audio back-ends via plug-ins and a more powerful graphics architecture. Lightspark 0.4.4.2 has been released this weekend and while it's not 0.4.5 and does not introduce this new graphics architecture, it does have the new audio plug-in framework...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODU5MQ

  • #2
    Everyone is waiting for the great day when it provides great support for youtube, until then - oh well..

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      Everyone is waiting for the great day when it provides great support for youtube, until then - oh well..
      To my great amusement I noticed it supports YouPorn, the development priorities seem to be clear

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by sturmflut View Post
        To my great amusement I noticed it supports YouPorn, the development priorities seem to be clear
        WIN!

        (word limit, you know how annoying it is)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by sturmflut View Post
          To my great amusement I noticed it supports YouPorn, the development priorities seem to be clear
          haha, that could very well be the "gold standard" for the Flash alternatives. If it can play YouPorn then its met the minimum standard

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
            haha, that could very well be the "gold standard" for the Flash alternatives. If it can play YouPorn then its met the minimum standard
            If is support YouPorn, it is going to be useful

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by sturmflut View Post
              To my great amusement I noticed it supports YouPorn, the development priorities seem to be clear
              It's time to give it a try
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

              Comment


              • #8
                YouPorn? Somebody uploaded pornographic material to the internet? Well, I'm sure it will be removed post-haste.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think the only thing separating lightspark from widespread adoption in linux distros is the support for a plugin-based media framework like gstreamer. Directly linking to ffmpeg is in fact an obstacle due to its murky software patent situation. With gstreamer, or any other plugin framework, distros could actually provide only the free codecs by default, leaving the patented stuff to third party repos.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                    I think the only thing separating lightspark from widespread adoption in linux distros is the support for a plugin-based media framework like gstreamer. Directly linking to ffmpeg is in fact an obstacle due to its murky software patent situation. With gstreamer, or any other plugin framework, distros could actually provide only the free codecs by default, leaving the patented stuff to third party repos.
                    at least 95% of the users dont't care about the patent situation, or code quality, or anything else, if the software just works most of the time. And since distributions like Ubuntu ship ffmpeg including patent-encumbered codecs, there should not be any reason to ship lightspark as well.

                    The two things separating lightsprak from widespread adoption are support for the most "important" Flash applets, read: video sites and 2D games, and support for more platforms.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X