EXT4 & Btrfs Regressions In Linux 2.6.36

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smorg View Post
    Ya. All the languages I play with (currently Java in computer science) require basically no knowledge of how to implement anything in an operating system...
    If you know java then just try some c by example code ... first time I programmed C it was like: "I have no idea .. let's do it like java and see what happens" and it worked ... until I hit the necessity for malloc which took some time to figure, because I was accustomed to the Java automagic way.

Comment

If there is a cascading waterfall like thing then whats up with the "merge requests"? Wouldn't Linus just make a copy of the next-most-tested version with no assembly multiple of branches directly into what eventually becomes a rc.
      Sometimes Linus or the Developer might not want to merge a specific patch even if it's already living in testing or there are alternatives wich could also considered. (Just my guess)

Comment

[..]
        Cannot add a lot about what others commented on the carefree nature of your post, other than possibly: Good luck fixing the Linux kernel with Java.

Comment

And isn't it rather ironic that pretty much the only platform you could sensibly write a kernel in Java with happens to be designed by Linus. *chuckle*

Comment

[popcorn mode on]

Without some sandbox for all the developers of all the various systems to play together in without having to worry about breaking things, how is anybody to know how things will work when everybody gets together all at once to merge in their possibly massive and incompatible changes within the tiny allowed timeframe (only to be disallowed from making the possibly sweeping changes necessary in order to fix things properly)? This sounds like a terrible development model. And why is it called a release candidate? There is absolutely zero chance that -rc1 is bug free and will be released as-is, and thus, not a candidate for release. It's that simple.

I need to finish school and learn C so I can help fix this shit. Totally ridiculous. The world needs more CK's. It also sounds like we need a way to make big changes which break things and then have the ability to eventually get those changes mainline only after everything gets integrated properly. Evolutionary change sometimes sucks and causes big ugly codebase.
            [popcorn mode off]

Comment

i wonder when this crap is gunna stop regressing. Every time i turn around EXT4 is slower and so is half the kernel.

Comment

Anyone knows the status of this regression?

Comment

Working...
                X