Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zfs for mainstream linux finally!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Guys,

    Am really sorry for this. Just a quick update, the ZFS to Linux demo is available right now. The code would be available on and after sep 15th.

    The following are the details of the beta release scheduled for 15th sep:

    Zpool Version: 18

    Solaris Build: b121

    Linux distros supported ( 64 bit Only) : Fedora 12 (rpms), RHEL 6 beta 2 (rpms), Ubuntu 10.04 (make from source)

    Sorry for the delay by a couple of weeks, we are just into the mode of fine tuning the code before handing it over for testing at your end.

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by darshin View Post
      Guys,

      Am really sorry for this. Just a quick update, the ZFS to Linux demo is available right now. The code would be available on and after sep 15th.

      The following are the details of the beta release scheduled for 15th sep:

      Zpool Version: 18

      Solaris Build: b121

      Linux distros supported ( 64 bit Only) : Fedora 12 (rpms), RHEL 6 beta 2 (rpms), Ubuntu 10.04 (make from source)

      Sorry for the delay by a couple of weeks, we are just into the mode of fine tuning the code before handing it over for testing at your end.
      I hope you guys give/gave it a nice beating with ztest and other stress-tests to ensure it's somewhat stable and works

      anyways: take your time & good work !

      Comment


      • #23
        Thanks

        @michael. Sincere apologies Mike. I know you have been waiting to get your hands on linux. Sorry to keep you waiting till sep 15th. We were to hand over the code, but want to run proper tests on it, some fixes and do some rigorous testing at our end before we start handing it over to customers. I hope you understand, dont want to hand over a code half checked for bugs.

        Please bear with us for the next two weeks. We can schedule a demo though if you want to have a look.

        Regards,
        Darshin

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by darshin View Post
          FUSE is crap and the solution we have developed is not in FUSE.
          Well you've just proven yourself to be a useless ignorant piece of work. FUSE too difficult for you to comprehend? TOUGH. If you can't appreciate FUSE, then I'm TOTALLY certain that you can't handle kernel programming.

          Here's one vote against EVER including ANY code you develop in the kernel.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            Well you've just proven yourself to be a useless ignorant piece of work. FUSE too difficult for you to comprehend? TOUGH. If you can't appreciate FUSE, then I'm TOTALLY certain that you can't handle kernel programming.

            Here's one vote against EVER including ANY code you develop in the kernel.
            I never said too difficult to comprehend! Anyways, nothing against the alternatives. Sorry for using that language for FUSE. I too agree that was a mistake on my part to write that .

            I take back my words for FUSE @droidhacker Hope that cools you down a bit !

            Am not here to fight with people or downsize anyone. Am just here to let people know that we have put an effort in porting ZFS to linux, and now are almost on the verge of releasing the beta code.

            Darshin

            Comment


            • #26
              Let me guess; it will be freely available and downloadable at no cost and will full source code, right?

              Comment


              • #27
                Now that Oracle has killed OpenSolaris and the ZFS code will be outdated on purpose just to make Oracle's products nicer, and after the Java lawsuit, there's no way I'm going to care about any other fs than Btrfs.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by diegocg View Post
                  Now that Oracle has killed OpenSolaris and the ZFS code will be outdated on purpose just to make Oracle's products nicer, and after the Java lawsuit, there's no way I'm going to care about any other fs than Btrfs.
                  Me too, however having opportunity to choose between btrfs and zfs is better then be 'forced' to use btrfs only.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by diegocg View Post
                    Now that Oracle has killed OpenSolaris and the ZFS code will be outdated on purpose just to make Oracle's products nicer, and after the Java lawsuit, there's no way I'm going to care about any other fs than Btrfs.
                    But doesn't the principal BTRFS developer work for Oracle?

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      There seems to be a real BTRFS bias among the Phoronix writers. I guess this is a Linux forum after all, but ZFS is currently a superior filesystem. The RAID support is mature, and it has been in production several years.

                      I've been running a ZFS-FUSE RAIDZ2 for some time on my Ubuntu server, and it's been rock-solid.

                      BTRFS is still in early beta, is missing object-level RAID, and seems to have very poor userspace utilities. ZFS has a 5 year head start. BTRFS may certainly catch up, and the ongoing development of ZFS is uncertain given the demise of OpenSolaris, but currently ZFS is a better choice for reliable redundant storage. Improved raw performance on a few benchmarks means little without safety.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X