Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vi IMproved 7.3 Released w/ Fixes + New Features

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Vi IMproved 7.3 Released w/ Fixes + New Features

    Phoronix: Vi IMproved 7.3 Released w/ Fixes + New Features

    Marking the end of two years of development is the release of Vim (Vi Improved) version 7.3. While this is considered a minor release of Vim, there are a handful of new features along with many bug-fixes...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODUwOQ

  • #2
    Now what exactly does vim have to do with encrypting swap files? Trying to be an OS like emacs?

    /rant. Yes I know, not OS swap files but the editor's own. Still, must be hella bloated an editor to require its own swap file.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by curaga View Post
      Now what exactly does vim have to do with encrypting swap files? Trying to be an OS like emacs?

      /rant. Yes I know, not OS swap files but the editor's own. Still, must be hella bloated an editor to require its own swap file.
      I assume that the swapfile they are talking about is the backup of the file being edited, named somethin like filename~ or #filename# or .filename.swp -- I can't remember which format Vim uses..
      No bloat, just protection from power/network outages.. any editor which doesn't do this is broken imo.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by nargo View Post
        I assume that the swapfile they are talking about is the backup of the file being edited, named somethin like filename~ or #filename# or .filename.swp -- I can't remember which format Vim uses..
        No bloat, just protection from power/network outages.. any editor which doesn't do this is broken imo.
        It's a cool feature, and Vim unlike other editors I've used removes it's swap file after closing the editor. I've seen some that just leave them there and you end up with a bunch of garbage hanging around.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
          It's a cool feature, and Vim unlike other editors I've used removes it's swap file after closing the editor. I've seen some that just leave them there and you end up with a bunch of garbage hanging around.
          I actually like those hanging around so I can revert my last changes easily.

          Comment


          • #6
            Yay Vim!

            Vim > $EDITOR

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Now what exactly does vim have to do with encrypting swap files? Trying to be an OS like emacs?

              /rant. Yes I know, not OS swap files but the editor's own. Still, must be hella bloated an editor to require its own swap file.
              You have no idea what you're talking about, right?
              Hint: VIM uses a per-active-file swap file in-order to be able to revert changes and to prevent multiple concurrent edits.

              - Gilboa
              DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB + 2x3TB, GTX780, F21/x86_64, Dell U2711.
              SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F21/x86_64, Dell U2412..
              BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F21/x86-64.
              LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F21/x86_64.

              Comment


              • #8
                Additionally, the swap files are saved as plaintext, so people could be peeking at sensitive files while you are editing them.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                  You have no idea what you're talking about, right?
                  Hint: VIM uses a per-active-file swap file in-order to be able to revert changes and to prevent multiple concurrent edits.

                  - Gilboa
                  Eh. Yeah Tired, and swap file in context of $EDITOR made no sense at the time.

                  Additionally, the swap files are saved as plaintext, so people could be peeking at sensitive files while you are editing them.
                  I don't use vi, but after thinking about it, who is this to protect against?

                  If the temp file is in the same dir, with same permissions as the original file, there's no harm in having it in plaintext. And if it tries to protect from root, he can read your memory anyway.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think it's more to protect users from other sneaky users.

                    But yeah, I'm not sure whether the swap files inherit the original file's permissions and whatnot. There are likely corner cases involved. It was probably a much requested feature that finally got implemented. You don't have to use it if you don't feel the need (I don't).

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X