Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vi IMproved 7.3 Released w/ Fixes + New Features

Phoronix: Vi IMproved 7.3 Released w/ Fixes + New Features

Marking the end of two years of development is the release of Vim (Vi Improved) version 7.3. While this is considered a minor release of Vim, there are a handful of new features along with many bug-fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now what exactly does vim have to do with encrypting swap files? Trying to be an OS like emacs?

/rant. Yes I know, not OS swap files but the editor's own. Still, must be hella bloated an editor to require its own swap file.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      Now what exactly does vim have to do with encrypting swap files? Trying to be an OS like emacs?

/rant. Yes I know, not OS swap files but the editor's own. Still, must be hella bloated an editor to require its own swap file.
      I assume that the swapfile they are talking about is the backup of the file being edited, named somethin like filename~ or #filename# or .filename.swp -- I can't remember which format Vim uses..
      No bloat, just protection from power/network outages.. any editor which doesn't do this is broken imo.

Comment

Originally posted by nargo View Post
        I assume that the swapfile they are talking about is the backup of the file being edited, named somethin like filename~ or #filename# or .filename.swp -- I can't remember which format Vim uses..
        No bloat, just protection from power/network outages.. any editor which doesn't do this is broken imo.
        It's a cool feature, and Vim unlike other editors I've used removes it's swap file after closing the editor. I've seen some that just leave them there and you end up with a bunch of garbage hanging around.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
          It's a cool feature, and Vim unlike other editors I've used removes it's swap file after closing the editor. I've seen some that just leave them there and you end up with a bunch of garbage hanging around.
          I actually like those hanging around so I can revert my last changes easily.

Comment

Yay Vim!

Vim > $EDITOR

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post

You have no idea what you're talking about, right?
              Hint: VIM uses a per-active-file swap file in-order to be able to revert changes and to prevent multiple concurrent edits.

- Gilboa
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Additionally, the swap files are saved as plaintext, so people could be peeking at sensitive files while you are editing them.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                  You have no idea what you're talking about, right?
                  Hint: VIM uses a per-active-file swap file in-order to be able to revert changes and to prevent multiple concurrent edits.

- Gilboa
                  Eh. Yeah Tired, and swap file in context of $EDITOR made no sense at the time.

Additionally, the swap files are saved as plaintext, so people could be peeking at sensitive files while you are editing them.
                  I don't use vi, but after thinking about it, who is this to protect against?

If the temp file is in the same dir, with same permissions as the original file, there's no harm in having it in plaintext. And if it tries to protect from root, he can read your memory anyway.

Comment

I think it's more to protect users from other sneaky users.

But yeah, I'm not sure whether the swap files inherit the original file's permissions and whatnot. There are likely corner cases involved. It was probably a much requested feature that finally got implemented. You don't have to use it if you don't feel the need (I don't).

Comment

Working...
                    X