Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Software Compilation 4.5 Released

Phoronix: KDE Software Compilation 4.5 Released

Following a brief delay, KDE Software Compilation 4.5 was released this morning. This semi-annual update to the KDE desktop and related packages brings new releases of the Plasma Desktop and Netbook workspaces, KDE WebKit support within the Konqueror web-browser, usabiliy refinements to Plasma for providing an improved user experience, and a plethora of other improvements and bug fixes...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODQ5NA

Is that it?

The most exciting KDE release of the whole 4.x series and that's the best you can do?

We get more details on every alpha, beta and RC of every subcomponent of GNOME than that!

Come on Michael KDE deserves a bit better than that no?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      Is that it?

The most exciting KDE release of the whole 4.x series and that's the best you can do?

We get more details on every alpha, beta and RC of every subcomponent of GNOME than that!

Come on Michael KDE deserves a bit better than that no?
      Yes and this is sad. Maybe at h-online there will be some more informative article.

Comment

I just love kde4......... it reached the almost "perfect feature-rich" state.

Gnome on the contrary reached the almost "essential but working" state.

They both have their reasons to exist.

Comment

Yeah it's awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            Is that it?

This release has countless small improvements with only a handful of bigger ones.

Comment

Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
              This release has countless small improvements with only a handful of bigger ones.
              Less than GNOME 2.xx minor versions?

Comment

Yay finally! Just today (still using RC3, not upgraded yet) I discovered a very nice new feature in KDE 4.5. If you open the System Monitor and right click on a process there is a new option that displays a very nice detailed memory information about the process.

Comment

I'm a programmer, so I will concentrate here on kdelibs

KSharedDataCache is very impressive. In fact, I was experimenting with something similar not so long time ago. Even some implementation details are similar. But this implementation is surely more mature and featureful (including eviction mechanism). Such a cache was requirement for my long-standing project (web engine written in C++ instead of PHP, etc), so now I'll be back to my work. Thank you, KDE

Comment

Originally posted by Tsiolkovsky View Post
                    Yay finally! Just today (still using RC3, not upgraded yet) I discovered a very nice new feature in KDE 4.5. If you open the System Monitor and right click on a process there is a new option that displays a very nice detailed memory information about the process.
                    Nice find!!! Thanks

Comment

Personally, I stopped using KDE4 when 4.3 came out and switched to standalone X + Xmonad.
                      Each release of KDE 4.x seems to add even less front-end user features than the last. It seems that KDE devs are working for themselves. That is, to make coding of KDE easier, but user remains forgotten. KDE brainstorm is full of great-revolutionary ideas, but noone bothers to implement them. Instead, they chose to add something like "semantic desktop". Seriously? When was the last time, when you "rated" a file?

Space usability of KDE4 just sucks. Windows, dialogs are filled with gray spaces, which could be used to show something useful.

Kde 4.5 is nowhere close in customizeability to 3.5 in my opinion. In KDE 3.5 i could change pixmap of any panel without creating a new theme, I could change transparency. Also in KDE 4.5 I can't set fixed panel height (I like all my panels to be 16 pixels height). Now I need to edit KDE's config files manually, but only after killing plasma-desktop.

It just doesn't feel to be powerful anymore. That is why i switched to standalone X + Xmonad, because there I have all the options in the world.
                      It feels that KDE has lost something when transitioning between 3.x and 4.x, maybe they tried to make KDE "simpler", which would be just stupid.

Comment

4.5.0 deserved more news than just two paragraphs.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                          Nice find!!! Thanks
                          yeah, this one's really useful

Comment

KDE 4.x does everything I need it to do and I'm quite satisfied. Most of the work is under the hood, and I really like this.

Transparently logging into a remote server via fish:// from dolphin and copying it onto a removable medium which was automatically detected, and having all of it seamless, that's what a DE should be providing in the first place.

Now we finally get webkit in the mainline konqueror too.

Comment

more than 16,000 bugs were fixed in this KDE 4.5 release.

No comment

Comment

Working...
                              X