Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 2.6.35 Kernel Officially Released

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.35 Kernel Officially Released

While it's no surprise, the Linux 2.6.35 kernel was just released this Sunday afternoon by Linus Torvalds...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODQ2Nw

Goooooooodie.... hello power management!

Comment

Nice.
      So any OpenSuse Veterans around who can tell me how I can cleanly update to 2.6.35? I switched over from Gentoo when 11.3 was released and I'm still getting used to things.

Comment

Originally posted by sundown View Post
        Goooooooodie.... hello power management!
        Is there anything to do to use pm or is it switched on per default?

Comment

Originally posted by Boerkel View Post
          Is there anything to do to use pm or is it switched on per default?
          I think that would depend on your distribution of choice?

Comment

Should be on by default -- but the default is to use profiles, so you have to switch to lower or higher states.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
              Nice.
              So any OpenSuse Veterans around who can tell me how I can cleanly update to 2.6.35? I switched over from Gentoo when 11.3 was released and I'm still getting used to things.
              This repository contains latest Kernel snapshots, I don't know which repo contains the latest stable kernel, but there should be one. alternately you can still compile the kernel yourself.

http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_11.3/

Comment

For more info on radeon pm:
                http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ay/000492.html
                Note that in 2.6.35, there is a mid profile as well. It's not enabled by default.

Comment

Thanks for the link. It really helped. I changed the power_profile to low. Is there any way to check if it worked?

Comment

Originally posted by Boerkel View Post
                    Thanks for the link. It really helped. I changed the power_profile to low. Is there any way to check if it worked?
                    in terminal : "sensors" to see temperatures, "powertop" to see power consumption

Comment

Originally posted by Boerkel
                      Check the last few posts of this thread:

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...t=23686&page=4

You'll find the exact commands to check your chip's temperature and switch between power modes.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                        For more info on radeon pm:
                        http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ay/000492.html
                        Note that in 2.6.35, there is a mid profile as well. It's not enabled by default.
                        Ahh. "mid" seems to be the sweet spot for this Thinkpad with a FireGL 5700. The GPU temperature drops about 14 degrees C and Kwin is still snappy. With "low", it felt like I was taking KDE on a snorkelling trip.

Thanx!

Comment

I seem to be having a string of bad luck with these latest kernels. In 2.6.34, the radeon module crashed on load, and with 2.6.35 my ethernet card stops working:

Code:
                          NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0 (sky2): transmit queue 0 timed out
                          after which dmesg gets spammed with:
                          Code:
                          sky2 0000:05:00.0: eth0: tx timeout
                          sky2 0000:05:00.0: eth0: transmit ring 107 .. 66 report=107 done=107
                          and there doesn't seem to be any way to fix it. People have been reporting similar issues for years, but I can't find any real fix ().

Comment

Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
                            with 2.6.35 my ethernet card stops working
                            I have the same problem on Fedora Rawhide. My ethernet was fine before the kernel upgrade now I can't update anything.

Comment

UPDATE: It appears my problem is related to KNetworkManager.

Comment

Working...
                              X