Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 2.6.35 Kernel Officially Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux 2.6.35 Kernel Officially Released

    Phoronix: Linux 2.6.35 Kernel Officially Released

    While it's no surprise, the Linux 2.6.35 kernel was just released this Sunday afternoon by Linus Torvalds...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODQ2Nw

  • #2
    Goooooooodie.... hello power management!

    Comment


    • #3
      Nice.
      So any OpenSuse Veterans around who can tell me how I can cleanly update to 2.6.35? I switched over from Gentoo when 11.3 was released and I'm still getting used to things.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by sundown View Post
        Goooooooodie.... hello power management!
        Is there anything to do to use pm or is it switched on per default?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Boerkel View Post
          Is there anything to do to use pm or is it switched on per default?
          I think that would depend on your distribution of choice?

          Comment


          • #6
            Should be on by default -- but the default is to use profiles, so you have to switch to lower or higher states.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Zhick View Post
              Nice.
              So any OpenSuse Veterans around who can tell me how I can cleanly update to 2.6.35? I switched over from Gentoo when 11.3 was released and I'm still getting used to things.
              This repository contains latest Kernel snapshots, I don't know which repo contains the latest stable kernel, but there should be one. alternately you can still compile the kernel yourself.

              http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_11.3/

              Comment


              • #8
                For more info on radeon pm:
                http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ay/000492.html
                Note that in 2.6.35, there is a mid profile as well. It's not enabled by default.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks for the link. It really helped. I changed the power_profile to low. Is there any way to check if it worked?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Boerkel View Post
                    Thanks for the link. It really helped. I changed the power_profile to low. Is there any way to check if it worked?
                    in terminal : "sensors" to see temperatures, "powertop" to see power consumption

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Boerkel
                      Thanks for the link. It really helped. I changed the power_profile to low. Is there any way to check if it worked?
                      Check the last few posts of this thread:

                      http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...t=23686&page=4

                      You'll find the exact commands to check your chip's temperature and switch between power modes.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                        For more info on radeon pm:
                        http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ay/000492.html
                        Note that in 2.6.35, there is a mid profile as well. It's not enabled by default.
                        Ahh. "mid" seems to be the sweet spot for this Thinkpad with a FireGL 5700. The GPU temperature drops about 14 degrees C and Kwin is still snappy. With "low", it felt like I was taking KDE on a snorkelling trip.

                        Thanx!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I seem to be having a string of bad luck with these latest kernels. In 2.6.34, the radeon module crashed on load, and with 2.6.35 my ethernet card stops working:

                          Code:
                          NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0 (sky2): transmit queue 0 timed out
                          after which dmesg gets spammed with:
                          Code:
                          sky2 0000:05:00.0: eth0: tx timeout
                          sky2 0000:05:00.0: eth0: transmit ring 107 .. 66 report=107 done=107
                          and there doesn't seem to be any way to fix it. People have been reporting similar issues for years, but I can't find any real fix ().

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
                            with 2.6.35 my ethernet card stops working
                            I have the same problem on Fedora Rawhide. My ethernet was fine before the kernel upgrade now I can't update anything.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              UPDATE: It appears my problem is related to KNetworkManager.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X