Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 2.6.34 Kernel Is Likely On Its Last RC

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.34 Kernel Is Likely On Its Last RC

Assuming there are no major last minute issues, the Linux 2.6.34 kernel will likely be released in the very near future. Last night Linus put out the Linux 2.6.34-rc7 release, which he hopes will be the last release candidate...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have wanted to use compcache for a while, but support for it in the kernel has been such that its developers have advised against using it. Hopefully, this time next week, I will be running Gentoo Linux with compcache enabled on the 2.6.34 kernel.

Comment

Do as the devs advise, and run from the 0.6.2 tarball w/ 2.6.33. With the notify patch things are just rosy

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        compcache ? what does this ?
        Compressed Cache - make use of some RAM as compressed cache memory. It's usefull on computers with 1GB RAM or less where you'd like to use for example heavy desktops, etc. Nice for systems where every MB does matter.
        I've used that on Kubuntu few months ago.

Comment

I hope that pesky I/O wait state bug that's been plaguing linux since 2.6.19 has finally gone. It looked promising in 2.6.32 for a while but seemed to return in 2.6.33. On my Sabayon 64bit with the 2.6.33 kernel, just searching for a file causes 20-30+ "kio-file disk sleep" reports in system monitor and 100% cpu on both cores. The kernel bug post on this matter reports status resolved-insuficiant data. That dosn't sound resolved to me, nor to all the other people out there who can't move the mouse pointer when the system behaves like this.

Comment

Shame they only implemented 1 out of the 6 patches for the Phenom II x6's. Until then patch or use windows.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Shame they only implemented 1 out of the 6 patches for the Phenom II x6's. Until then patch or use windows.
              Que? I don't understand the last part of your suggestion. How is manipulating the framed oblong sheets of glass attatched to my house going to improve my computing pleasure?

Comment

Working...
              X