Linux 2.6.24 Through Linux 2.6.33 Benchmarks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mtippett View Post
    Out of interest, where is the recommended server configuration instructions.
    Are you willing to stand forward and declare yourself as the configurator of the best-in-class server config?
    I would like to point out that there are two preconfigured kernels in the Ubuntu repositories, linux-image-2.6.xx-generic (default for the Desktop metapackage) and linux-image-2.6.xx-server (the default for the Server metapackage). For running server usage benchmarks, it would probably be a good idea to use the server kernel. It might also be useful to see across the board comparisons between the server and generic kernels.

Comment

Originally posted by mtippett View Post
      The underlying issue is that *no-one* stands forward willing to state what is and what is not tuned. If *no-one* stands forward, and *no-one* documents it, then we get left with the desktop-configured defaults. The only groups that implied in coming forwards and contributing to the configuration are the desktop crowd. (Although I would expect the default kernel config is more server oriented, but don't have a best-practice to measure that against).

If people want to come forward and be involved in a kernel configuration bake-off, please come forward.
      What i'm saying is that phoronix is in the best position to become the authority you seek. The framework you've created puts ya'll in the best position to test tons of different configurations that no one currently has the time or resources to manually test and even identify configuration performance dependencies that no one would initially think would impact each other and thus have never thought to try.

Actually one of the only conclusions i drew from this article is that the default kernel configuration is becoming more focused on the desktop as time passed.

Comment

Working...
      X