Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 2.6.32-rc4 Brings A Huge, Bloated Driver

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.32-rc4 Brings A Huge, Bloated Driver

As another Sunday release, Linus has made the Linux 2.6.32-rc4 kernel release. 60% of the patch for this release is the result of the addition of a single new SCSI FC driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzYwMg

Worth noting from on the DRM side is that the ATI kernel mode-setting improvements talked about a few days ago were merged into this release candidate for Linux 2.6.32.
    Cool!

I tried the Fedora 12 nightly build live cd, and it is so cool to see KMS in action.

http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt...poses/desktop/

On my Radeon 3200, it goes into KMS within a second after boot.

And for those following the artwork in Fedora: For the first time ever, the graphics and artwork is beautiful.

Comment

Linus refers to this SCSI driver as being "huge and bloated", but he has vowed not to merge "drivers-from-hell" anymore.
      Does that mean it's huge and bloated because it deals with all possible things that could go wrong? Or, it is a driver from hell, but got merged anyway.

Comment

It's time the kernel separates drivers/optional subsystems and core. Oh wait, that would require stable APIs, wouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by greg View Post
          It's time the kernel separates drivers/optional subsystems and core. Oh wait, that would require stable APIs, wouldn't it?
          But they don't need to return to user space I guess.

Comment

What for? You don't have unused things loaded. Stable API is piece of 'bull'.

Comment

Stable API is piece of 'bull'.
              I'm so tired of the FUD Greg KH is spreading.

Comment

Or other people

Comment

And Linus. Man, if that guy thinks a stable API is so bad, why doesn't he just go write his own operating system!

Comment

Originally posted by krazy View Post
                    And Linus. Man, if that guy thinks a stable API is so bad, why doesn't he just go write his own operating system!

Who? Linus or Greg KH? Maybe you meant unstable API? :>

Comment

Working...
                    X