PulseAudio 0.9.15 Brings Major Improvements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
    Yeh, PA has been shit up until now. But try this version. It's fantastic! Everything works, even the microphone
    But what is the advantage of PA over directly use alsa? Alsa got mic support too ;-)
    That might per app volume control maybe?

Comment

I can use it to play music simultaneously on all the PA-enabled computers in the house (including windoze). It also makes it extremely easy to combine my USB headset and the sound card into one virtual device so I don't have to switch between the two. And with the new version I can instantaneously switch between S/PDIF and analog output - while the music is playing. It also takes care of my IR remote signals so that I don't need extra scripts to control the volume.
      Those are just a few benefits that I find extremely useful.

PS: It provides a centralized control of the input/output channels. Just set your input device in the mixer and set all devices in Skype (or any other program) to pulseaudio. No more trying of all the devices on the list in each app.
      Last edited by unimatrix; 04-14-2009, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
        PS: It provides a centralized control of the input/output channels. Just set your input device in the mixer and set all devices in Skype (or any other program) to pulseaudio. No more trying of all the devices on the list in each app.
        Wow, if they can fix THAT, it would go a long way towards usability and ending some of my (minor) headaches. I'm really interested in this PA release. I wish it could make it into Jaunty... :-/

Comment

For me, PulseAudio has worked acceptably since Ubuntu 8.04. It really does offer some great advantages such as the ones unimatrix noted. I'm really looking forward to this new release.

Comment

Again... Why isn't it implemented in Kubuntu?

Comment

And again..
              you can test it on jaunty using this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~themuso/+archive/ppa

It was updated yesterday with 0.9.15.
              Greetings
              Manuel

Comment

Yeah, but I mean... Is PA integrated with kubuntu? Isn't kubuntu just using plain alsa?

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
                  Yeah, but I mean... Is PA integrated with kubuntu? Isn't kubuntu just using plain alsa?
                  I think that the pulseuadio support with gstreamer is better (or was some months ago) than the support with xine.

Also, the GUI tools are written in GTK+. Maybe it will come if somebody writes a GUI tool in Qt, or better support in Kmix.

Comment

Originally posted by gzahl View Post
                    And again..
                    you can test it on jaunty using this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~themuso/+archive/ppa

It was updated yesterday with 0.9.15.
                    Greetings
                    Manuel
                    Just a warning to anyone who might try it.
                    This repo breaks 32bit compatibility on 64-bit systems, so things like Skype (and certain non-64-bit-precompiled games) won't work.
                    Also it's a pain in the ass to rollback. You need to download the changed packages from packages.ubuntu.com and manually 'downgrade' them using dpkg --force-all
                    Good times.
                    Last edited by unimatrix; 04-16-2009, 03:07 PM.

Comment

After testing PA 0.9.14 (from Jaunty) in Kubuntu with KDE 4.2 I can say now everything works great!

It is easy to configure 5.1 or 7.1 sound channels.
                      It is easy to mix/send/recive audio from different sound cards, using virtual devices.
                      Per-application volume controls.
                      Easy to play sound through a network to another PC's speakers.
                      It is great!

Now I know that I hate so much dmix. The sound quality with that is worse compared to any other OS.

Kubuntu should include PA by default in Karmic. Mandriva, Fedora, openSUSE and many others have PA by default, not only with GNOME, but also with KDE.

P.D. PA with Phonon using xine works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
                        Kubuntu should include PA by default in Karmic. Mandriva, Fedora, openSUSE and many others have PA by default, not only with GNOME, but also with KDE.
                        Actually there is serious consideration @ openSUSE to remove PA from default. PA removal is one of their highest requested "features".

https://features.opensuse.org/305888
                        Last edited by deanjo; 05-27-2009, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Just about to give the latest milestone 2 release of 11.2 I'll give it a whirl.

Comment

33 votes, hehe.

Maybe it was to early to ship with PA in 11.0 but now it is only matter of a good configuration. Take a look on PA 0.9.15 on Fedora 11.

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
                              33 votes, hehe.

Maybe it was to early to ship with PA in 11.0 but now it is only matter of a good configuration. Take a look on PA 0.9.15 on Fedora 11.
                              It is still HORRID. Pure alsa kicks the living snot out of Pulse in performance.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                                It is still HORRID. Pure alsa kicks the living snot out of Pulse in performance.
                                The Alsa configuration method sucks, because of its complication to do a simple 5.1 channel setup, it is even worse with multiple sound sources.
                                And pure dmix fucks the audio quality doing resampling.

Comment

Working...
                                X