No announcement yet.

Linux 2.6.28 Kernel Benchmarks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

umm, do the nvidia drivers even make use of GEM at all?

if not this test is seriously lacking relevance to the inclusion of GEM in the kernel...

Someone needs to do an old kernel and new kernel test on intel graphics I think.

Comment

Originally posted by TOGGI3 View Post
      umm, do the nvidia drivers even make use of GEM at all?

if not this test is seriously lacking relevance to the inclusion of GEM in the kernel...

Someone needs to do an old kernel and new kernel test on intel graphics I think.
      NVIDIA's drivers don't use GEM, but this article isn't a test of GEM at all but the overall kernel performance.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by hybrid-kernel View Post
        Registered just to post this:

FPS in wine dropped sharply with 2.6.28, making it almost unplayable. I reverted back to 2.6.27.10 for now. All I play is hl1 based mods, so you might want to try benchmarking those.

Also I noticed that sound messed up every one in a while while watching videos. A quick pause/play fixed it though.
        Could you post a link to this thread? I can't seem to find it.

Comment

@hybrid-kernel

It's wine problem. Maybe you'll have to tune Linux scheduller especially for wine to have better experience in games. It's mentioned at wine forum.

Comment

I don't think many use the latest kernel because it is faster. It is just newer, "feels" better and for those who had to compile extra drivers those could be intergrated already (for default distro kernel users this last aspect does not really matter, because drivers are always added when needed). Sometimes newer kernels are required, especially for newer hd controllers, which might not be supported before. Of course some might want to use the extra features like KMS or whatever, but you will never see that in a benchmark.

Comment

Originally posted by pking55 View Post
              Yes, it's here:

http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=8310#8310

You will probably have to do it as root or using sudo. I'm not sure if this will help with 2.6.28, but you can try.

Comment

Working...
              X