Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 2.6.28 Kernel Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux 2.6.28 Kernel Released

    Phoronix: Linux 2.6.28 Kernel Released

    As a special Christmas present, Linus Torvalds has announced the release of the Linux 2.6.28 kernel. The 2.6.28 kernel stabilizes the EXT4 file-system, delivers the Graphics Execution Manager for GPU memory management, brings forth several new drivers, and is home to several other improvements. The Linux 2.6.28 kernel release announcement can be read at LKML.org...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Njk1Nw

  • #2
    Ext4, yey!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Ext4, yey!
      I have the same thoughts ;-) but I hope that ext4 wont eat 50GB of my 300GB partition like ext3 ;/ so for now I have to use reiserfs although I'm sick of it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Flawless kernel. Godspeed .

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Tares View Post
          I have the same thoughts ;-) but I hope that ext4 wont eat 50GB of my 300GB partition like ext3 ;/ so for now I have to use reiserfs although I'm sick of it.
          How does ext3 eat one sixth of your partition? Did you set some funky block or inode values?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Loris View Post
            How does ext3 eat one sixth of your partition? Did you set some funky block or inode values?
            Ask gparted when I made ext3 on 300gb partition, it said that that 50gb was already reserved. Compared to 17mb of reiserfs, my choice was pretty obvious. Well, I'm a newbie if it comes to FS's, so I fully depended on gparted.

            Comment


            • #7
              Yeah, that lost+found directory in /?
              I think that's corrupting space. Don't blame your file system, thank it for saving your butt.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
                Yeah, that lost+found directory in /?
                I think that's corrupting space. Don't blame your file system, thank it for saving your butt.
                Anything in there that shouldn't be?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Last time I've formatted a partition to EXT3, it took over 8GB of my 300 GB HDD on reserved space.

                  Does anyone here who actually formatted a partition with EXT4 knows how it behaves?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                    Last time I've formatted a partition to EXT3, it took over 8GB of my 300 GB HDD on reserved space.

                    Does anyone here who actually formatted a partition with EXT4 knows how it behaves?
                    The default options for ext3 formatting is to reserve 5% of the partition's space for usage by root, so that the admin can always log in. But 5% on today's storage devices is a fscking big space nevertheless, so it's a good practice setting the reserved space to a lower percentage of the partition space.

                    DO THIS ONLY ON A UNMOUNTED FILESYSTEM.
                    For example, to set an arbitrary percentage for reserved space on an existing ext3 filesystem:

                    # tune2fs -m ${percentage_number} /dev/$partition_device

                    Or, you could set an arbitrary value of reserved blocks using the option -r instead of -m.

                    Assuming a default of 4 Kilobytes blocks, every 256 blocks are a reserved Megabyte. Setting 10 Megabytes of reserved space would be like this:

                    # tune2fs -r 2560 /dev/partition_device

                    Or... you could read the manual of mke2fs before creating a new filesystem.
                    Last edited by Loris; 12-26-2008, 11:46 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Loris View Post
                      The default options for ext3 formatting is to reserve 5% of the partition's space for usage by root, so that the admin can always log in. But 5% on today's storage devices is a fscking big space nevertheless, so it's a good practice setting the reserved space to a lower percentage of the partition space.

                      DO THIS ONLY ON A UNMOUNTED FILESYSTEM.
                      For example, to set an arbitrary percentage for reserved space on an existing ext3 filesystem:

                      # tune2fs -m ${percentage_number} /dev/$partition_device

                      Or, you could set an arbitrary value of reserved blocks using the option -r instead of -m.

                      Assuming a default of 4 Kilobytes blocks, every 256 blocks are a reserved Megabyte. Setting 10 Megabytes of reserved space would be like this:

                      # tune2fs -r 2560 /dev/partition_device

                      Or... you could read the manual of mke2fs before creating a new filesystem.
                      Thanks for replying.

                      I already did that.

                      Just after I created the filesystem, months ago.

                      But, thanks again for sharing this with us.

                      I left the default size on my primary HDD and set -m 0 to all my backup drivers (Music, Movies, Pictures etc)

                      So far, so good.

                      I'm assuming that EXT4 still sets to 5% to root reserved space.

                      Have you (or anyone reading this thread) upgraded your existent EXT3 partitions to EXT4?

                      I'm really curious about how it went through.

                      Thanks for reading.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I just migrated my / from ext3 to ext4.

                        I've rsynced the data on the root partition first to another partition:

                        rsync -axHA /mnt/root/ /mnt/backup

                        Reformatted root:

                        umount /mnt/root
                        mkfs.ext4 -L GentooRoot /dev/sda2
                        mount -t ext4 /dev/sda2 /mnt/root

                        And rsynced it back:

                        rsync -axHA /mnt/backup/ /mnt/root

                        Grub 0.97 can't boot from ext4 (unless patched) so I have a 40MB ext2 /boot partition for that.
                        Last edited by RealNC; 12-26-2008, 03:13 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Well, if there is a patch then use it. GRUB2 would be also interesting...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I did use the patch, but probably I did something wrong with reinstalling grub and it didn't boot. So I had to create an ext2 /boot for now.

                            Grub2 doesn't seem to be very popular with most distros right now. No idea why though, looks quite nice to me.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Well you can use it with the lenny installer - also I used it for booting from a Win bootloader - it can easyly start ST too.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X