Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sun Provides 64-bit Java Plug-In For Linux

Phoronix: Sun Provides 64-bit Java Plug-In For Linux

After years of complaints by its users, last month Adobe released 64-bit Flash for Linux. Now this month Sun Microsystems has come to the table with a Java plug-in that is compatible with 64-bit web browsers...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjkyOQ

Are we talking about openjdk or the non-free java here? If it's the closed java, why don't they support the openjdk, that it can fully replace the non free java? I really like that they help with openjdk, but there should be a 100% free java that works 100% like the closed java. It works almost perfect, but there are in some applications minor ugly-looking things.
    For me openjdk is more important than the closed java.

Comment

It's a great news for me. I've just recently switched to 64bits, mostly thanks to the 64b flashplugin and now java-plugin in coming. Awesome ^^;

Comment

Man, seems like Sun doesn't like its own OS. First JavaFX (which is only for Windows... wtf?), now normal Java?

Comment

About time! I'll give it a try as soon as a .deb for ubuntu is available.

Both gcj and openjdk failed to work properly in various java applets.

Comment

aleluya aleluya

Comment

ekhem 64 bit java was working on any browser that doesn't need a plugin for it and can access java directly... For example konqueror had it for years... So it was mainly Firefox problem. I could as well blame FF for not supporting it the way konqueror does.

Comment

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
                ekhem 64 bit java was working on any browser that doesn't need a plugin for it and can access java directly... For example konqueror had it for years... So it was mainly Firefox problem. I could as well blame FF for not supporting it the way konqueror does.
                blame firefox? lol

no, it's sun's duty to release a 64bit of their software.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                  aleluya aleluya
                  It's spelled "hallujah" in english actually

Comment

I can finally play tribal trouble 2.

Comment

Working...
                    X