Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sun Provides 64-bit Java Plug-In For Linux

Phoronix: Sun Provides 64-bit Java Plug-In For Linux

After years of complaints by its users, last month Adobe released 64-bit Flash for Linux. Now this month Sun Microsystems has come to the table with a Java plug-in that is compatible with 64-bit web browsers...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjkyOQ

Are we talking about openjdk or the non-free java here? If it's the closed java, why don't they support the openjdk, that it can fully replace the non free java? I really like that they help with openjdk, but there should be a 100% free java that works 100% like the closed java. It works almost perfect, but there are in some applications minor ugly-looking things.
    For me openjdk is more important than the closed java.

Comment

It's a great news for me. I've just recently switched to 64bits, mostly thanks to the 64b flashplugin and now java-plugin in coming. Awesome ^^;

Comment

Man, seems like Sun doesn't like its own OS. First JavaFX (which is only for Windows... wtf?), now normal Java?

Comment

About time! I'll give it a try as soon as a .deb for ubuntu is available.

Both gcj and openjdk failed to work properly in various java applets.

Comment

aleluya aleluya

Comment

ekhem 64 bit java was working on any browser that doesn't need a plugin for it and can access java directly... For example konqueror had it for years... So it was mainly Firefox problem. I could as well blame FF for not supporting it the way konqueror does.

Comment

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
                ekhem 64 bit java was working on any browser that doesn't need a plugin for it and can access java directly... For example konqueror had it for years... So it was mainly Firefox problem. I could as well blame FF for not supporting it the way konqueror does.
                blame firefox? lol

no, it's sun's duty to release a 64bit of their software.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                  aleluya aleluya
                  It's spelled "hallujah" in english actually

Comment

I can finally play tribal trouble 2.

Comment

Originally posted by KohlyKohl View Post
                      I can finally play tribal trouble 2.
                      Actually you already could... it worked fine for me on 64bit with one of the plugins. Not for other apps though.

Comment

Well, I'm kind a disappointed. I've just installed it, and applets don't work any better or faster than with IcedTea. There is even no cool java splash screen that used to be appearing while applet was being loaded... For those who want to try it out on intrepid ibex, download the JRE, install it, link the (path_to_where_you_installed_jre)/jre/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so file to your /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory, restart the firefox, open the tools->addons, select the plugins tab, enable the libnpjp2.so plugin and disable the icedtea plugin, and restart the firefox once again to be sure the new plugin is loaded. Now enjoy the 64bit java plugin!

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                          It's spelled "hallujah" in english actually
                          Spelling cop :P

Comment

Does anyone have this working yet? I installed the RPM on OpenSuSE 11.0 and the java version comes up correctly, however, when I link the only plugin file I could find, libjavaplugin_jni.so, the plugin does not load in Firefox.

Under /usr/lib64/browser-plugins/

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 52 2008-12-15 13:25 libjavaplugin_jni.so -> /usr/java/jre1.6.0_12/lib/amd64/libjavaplugin_jni.so

Comment

Originally posted by KohlyKohl View Post
                              Does anyone have this working yet? I installed the RPM on OpenSuSE 11.0 and the java version comes up correctly, however, when I link the only plugin file I could find, libjavaplugin_jni.so, the plugin does not load in Firefox.

Under /usr/lib64/browser-plugins/
                              There should be updated packages in the java repo shortly (probably not until 11.1 is released though). I chatted with coolo about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X