Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Launchpad Launches Plugin API

Phoronix: Launchpad Launches Plugin API

Launchpad, the web portal launched by Canonical for managing many different areas of Ubuntu work such as bug tracking, translation handling, and sharing of blueprints, now has a public API to expose its plug-in capabilities. Recently there were some official Launchpad plug-ins made available for integrating with Trac and Bugzilla, but now with this public API, anyone can write their own Launchpad plug-ins to provide for better integration with different bug tracking systems. This announcement came via Launchpad News and this plug-in API specification can be found on Launchpad Help. Next year Canonical is expected to make Launchpad open-source...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I like this idea of 'smart' bugtrackers that are ware of bug statuses in other bugtrackers.

Makes it much easier to track things for a human.

Comment

What's so interesting of Launchpad? Can someone explain it?

Also, it's very hypocrite that Launchpad isn't Open Source. I hope they will solve this issue really soon and not just a bunch of promises.

Comment

Hopefully we'll eventually get a plugin that allow multiple files uploading at the same time. Launchpad has gotten so slow it's a nightmare when you have to upload 5+ files to a bug report.

About the interesting points of launchpad, I can't understand how that could be a genuine question when you just give yourself away in the next sentence... talking about hypocrisy are we?

Comment

So it's not only closed source, but slow as hell. That's the software we want for the GNU/Linux ecosystem, we don't have enough with stuff like OpenOffice...

Originally posted by miles View Post
          About the interesting points of launchpad, I can't understand how that could be a genuine question when you just give yourself away in the next sentence... talking about hypocrisy are we?
          Sorry for my ignorance, can you be a bit more explicit?

I really don't see the point of what's so useful about Launchpad, maybe it is for (U/X/K/?)buntu maintainers but not for the rest I think. As I understand it, it's just another project trying to compete with Sourceforge and all other similar projects but also some kind of trojan horse by Canonical for trying to absorbing the FLOSS movement a little more.

My point is that that kind piece of software from Canonical is closed source, when mostly all their business is based in the work on others and being FLOSS. It's similar to Novell and a few other Linux distro companies under the dark side, that I personally dislike them for practical and philosophical reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
            It's similar to Novell and a few other Linux distro companies under the dark side, that I personally dislike them for practical and philosophical reasons.
            I'm sorry but Novell has done nothing but openup otherwise closed source since acquiring SuSE.

Examples:

Apparmor - opensourced
            Yast - opensourced
            Sax - opensourced

Everything built after the acquiring of SuSE has been opensourced from the get go such as the build service.

Not to mention Novell/openSuSE contributes far more code back to the linux community then Canonical ever has. Hell they even offer free porting services for hardware venders to get their device supported in linux. Not only that but also sponser or start up or contribute to things like the open invention network, the EFF's patent busting project, and numerous opensource projects for the consumption of the linux community as a whole. Their development is not isolated to just their distribution.

Please don't bother posting boycottnovell links in a reply. Any idiot that says linux makes up 41% of the marketshare of installed systems has issues.

Comment

Unlike other bug trackers, Launchpad's is actually designed to be human-friendly.

You can even reply to bug reports via email. It's rather nice.

Comment

And why can't it be added to bugzilla?

Comment

A human-friendly interface?

Dunno, as Mozilla people...

Comment

Working...
                  X