Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Real World Benchmarks Of The EXT4 File-System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by Kirurgs View Post
    So, what I wanted to see there is:
    ext3, ext4, jfs, xfs, reiserfs, reiser4.
    No chance of ever seeing Reiser4.

    Comment


    • #77
      And I wish, Phoronix would test fair.
      Leaving everything on default is not fair. ext3 cheats.

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by energyman View Post
        And I wish, Phoronix would test fair.
        Leaving everything on default is not fair. ext3 cheats.
        Why do you think Hans Reiser was so hated by some?

        The stated reasons are total crap. What was the real reason?

        Comment


        • #79
          FAT32

          It would be fun to see how linux filesystems compare against FAT32. Seems like FAT32 is the lowest common denominator of filesystem, as it comes whith every kind of flash-memory, mp3-player, usb-hdd.

          Comment


          • #80
            fat is very, very slow.

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by Jade View Post
              Why do you think Hans Reiser was so hated by some?

              The stated reasons are total crap. What was the real reason?
              Maybe because he killed his wife?

              Comment


              • #82
                you are either trying to joke and fail miserably or you are unable to use a calendar. Choose your poison.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Background filesystem checks

                  Originally posted by mctop View Post
                  So, from time to time, the raid system will check (tunefs could avoid this, but for safety reasons we perform the complete disk check) the data. This needs hours where you just can wait and wait ....

                  So, if ext4 would reduce this checking time, i would immediatley change.
                  lvcheck (http://www.redhat.com/archives/linux.../msg00088.html) allows background checks to be performed on ext3 volumes on an LVM system (using snapshots). If the checks reveal that the filesystem is healthy, its last check date is updated; this avoids unscheduled fscks on boot. This can be done say at night during weekends (depending on your backup schedule of course ). The script also works with XFS and JFS, but I haven't used it on these so I daren't comment on the specifics.

                  The only downside is that orphaned inodes are not cleared, so scheduled fscks are still useful from time to time.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Why you forgot JFS, its the fastet file System for Linux?

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      And load times in Games will be more interestant as the fps count.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        it is only 'the fastest' when you forget to turn off barriers for xfs and reiserfs. jfs does not even support this critical feature.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by energyman View Post
                          it is only 'the fastest' when you forget to turn off barriers for xfs and reiserfs. jfs does not even support this critical feature.
                          I don't have in mind, that I ever needed this feature.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            do your harddisk have an onboard cache? do you care about your data?
                            then you need barriers.
                            xfs and reiserfs care about data, so they turn it on by default
                            extX devs don't care about your data, so they turn it off by default (argued with '30% performance loss')
                            jfs doesn't have barrier support at all from all I could find.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by energyman View Post
                              do your harddisk have an onboard cache? do you care about your data?
                              then you need barriers.
                              xfs and reiserfs care about data, so they turn it on by default
                              extX devs don't care about your data, so they turn it off by default
                              It's on by default here (ext4).

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                then they went away from stupid with ext4 - I applaud them for that decision.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X