Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creative Gives In, They Open-Source Their X-Fi Driver

Phoronix: Creative Gives In, They Open-Source Their X-Fi Driver

The Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card driver for Linux from Creative Labs was awful. That's simply the nicest way to put it. The driver was home to many bugs, initially only supported 64-bit Linux, and it was arriving extremely late. The open-source drivers supporting the Creative X-Fi drivers have also been at a stand still. However, Creative Labs today has finally turned this situation around and they have open-sourced the code to this notorious driver. The source-code for the Creative X-Fi driver is now licensed under the GNU GPLv2.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=13083

As you English native speaker say: Hell is frozen over!
    Now the other 3 nearly impossible launches are waiting:
    UT3,DNF, Steam.

Comment

Finally !!!

Comment

we're all better off sticking with the oxygen powered sound cards.

Comment

OMG! Finally i can install eg. Ubuntu to my Game-PC...

Hope this will go quickly to ALSA...

Comment

Am I still dreaming? Creative for the win! (finally)

Comment

Are there ANY information if they will release specs, or whatever, for the I/O Modules?

Comment

Creative's not making money anyway, so they don't have much to lose. At least this makes their fanboys happy. I can't believe how many Linux users own X-fi's, considering how horrible the support is, but apparently some people are happy making ill-informed purchases and being brand slaves.

Comment

I wish I hadn't bought this stupid soundcard two years ago. I did know it was supposed to be a linux machine, but since I had such good experiences with linux hardware support, I figured I wouldn't have any problems.

So of course I buy an ATI graphics card and a Creative X-Fi.... oh brother.

Things have finally shaped up though. I now have 100% open source drivers running on my system.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    Creative's not making money anyway, so they don't have much to lose. At least this makes their fanboys happy. I can't believe how many Linux users own X-fi's, considering how horrible the support is, but apparently some people are happy making ill-informed purchases and being brand slaves.
                    Come on, everbody has a litte masochist inside himself

Well, I do not own a X-Fi but back in early 2004 I was impressed by the Audigy2 cards. Today I think a onboard card, like an ALC888, is sufficient. X-Fi makes sense if you are a (hardcore)gamer under Windows.

But I still love those I/O hubs ^^

Comment

Working...
                    X