Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creative Gives In, They Open-Source Their X-Fi Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #71
    I returned my XFI, 2 days after buying it.

    Comment


    • #72
      Question

      On the creative download site, it asks you to agree to a EULA before downloading the x-fi source driver. I refuse to agree to this EULA. Is there any way I can download it without agreeing?

      Comment


      • #73
        The EULA is full of shit, the driver is GPL. You'll notice it is when you look in its contents. Besides, you bought an X-Fi, I'm sure you already agreed to the EULA at least once.

        Comment


        • #74
          You don't have to agree to the EULA. You just have to click the "Agree" button. Clicking an "Agree" button and really agreeing are two different things

          Comment


          • #75
            Sorry for reviving an old thread, but can anyone give an update how X-Fi support is going in the .31 kernel? I haven't seen anything about it in the recent changelogs.

            Comment


            • #76
              Originally posted by KhaaL View Post
              Sorry for reviving an old thread, but can anyone give an update how X-Fi support is going in the .31 kernel? I haven't seen anything about it in the recent changelogs.
              I am not 100% sure, but I think I've heard that it is supported since Linux 2.6.31-rc3.

              Comment


              • #77
                It has been working for me out of the box, no problems. I think even since rc1. Except the front panel doesn't work just like with all the other X-Fi linux drivers

                never buy anything from Creative.

                Comment


                • #78
                  Originally posted by EmbraceUnity View Post
                  It has been working for me out of the box, no problems. I think even since rc1. Except the front panel doesn't work just like with all the other X-Fi linux drivers

                  never buy anything from Creative.
                  yeah i can also confirm that its worked OOTB with me too in karmic. however, i just installed 2.6.31-rc4 in jaunty and it got me nowhere. is there something more to the kernel that ubuntu has added in karmic than the vanilla kernel?

                  Comment


                  • #79
                    I'm an Ubuntu user and I've been using my onboard Realtek ALC883. I'm considering getting an X-Fi XtremeGamer. Am I likely to notice much of a difference?

                    I don't play games much (obviously) -- I want the card for music. AFAIK, the interesting features of X-Fi cards (entertainment/gaming modes, EAX, crystalizer) are not available under Linux, so I wonder if the sound of the "vanilla" configuration is really any better than what I currently have.

                    I'm not much of an audiophile, but I do own a decent pair of headphones (Sennheiser PX100) and notice a huge difference between them and the stock earbuds that come with audio players.

                    Thanks.

                    EDIT: My question may not be directly related to the thread's subject, but I found no other forum/thread dealing with this, so I thought I'd give it a try anyway.
                    Last edited by cybcode; 08-14-2009, 09:14 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #80
                      Originally posted by cybcode View Post
                      I'm an Ubuntu user and I've been using my onboard Realtek ALC883. I'm considering getting an X-Fi XtremeGamer. Am I likely to notice much of a difference?

                      I don't play games much (obviously) -- I want the card for music. AFAIK, the interesting features of X-Fi cards (entertainment/gaming modes, EAX, crystalizer) are not available under Linux, so I wonder if the sound of the "vanilla" configuration is really any better than what I currently have.

                      I'm not much of an audiophile, but I do own a decent pair of headphones (Sennheiser PX100) and notice a huge difference between them and the stock earbuds that come with audio players.

                      Thanks.

                      EDIT: My question may not be directly related to the thread's subject, but I found no other forum/thread dealing with this, so I thought I'd give it a try anyway.
                      If you just listen to music then your onboard would probably sound better. Im not sure what benefit there would even be to the gamer in linux, i dont think many games support hardware acceleration anyway.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X