Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex" Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex" Released

Six month and six days after the release of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS "Hardy Heron", we now have the next version of this Linux desktop and server distribution led by Mark Shuttleworth. Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex" has been officially released today with a number of new packages, an assortment of updated packages, and other new features.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why you only announce Ubuntu?

There were also Kubunut, Xubuntu and UbuntuStudio released.

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
      Why you only announce Ubuntu?

There were also Kubunut, Xubuntu and UbuntuStudio released.
      Isn't it kind of implied that those are released at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by mdmadph View Post
        Isn't it kind of implied that those are released at the same time?
        This fact is as known as the fact that Ubuntu was released today. So why not mention Kubuntu etc., too?

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          This fact is as known as the fact that Ubuntu was released today. So why not mention Kubuntu etc., too?

For brevity's sake?

I'm sure no offense was meant by the article author, Kubuntu/Xubuntu users.

Comment

What happened to the GUI overhaul?

Comment

Originally posted by Xanikseo View Post
              What happened to the GUI overhaul?
              You know how it goes. Ubuntu happens.

Comment

I've just upgraded my hardy to intrepid, and I am very very disappointed. First of all, while booting, there is no splash screen. Secondly, my ATI card stopped working completely. I installed the fglrx driver from the repository, but it just doesn't work. Open source radeon driver works, has 3D support (compiz) but hasn't got any video support (any player that uses XVideo crashes with the following output - even on liveCD session):
                vlc:
                Code:
                [00000001] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
                [00000453] a52 decoder: A/52 channels:6 samplerate:48000 bitrate:448000
                [00000457] main filter error: no sub filter module matched "text"
                [00000456] main subpicture error: Failed to create sub filter 'text'
                [00000456] main subpicture error: Failed while trying to append 'text' to filter chain
                QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine == 0, type: 1
                QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine == 0, type: 1
                [????????] x11 video output error: X11 request 140.19 failed with error code 11:
                 BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
                X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
                  Major opcode of failed request:  140 (XVideo)
                  Minor opcode of failed request:  19 ()
                  Serial number of failed request:  83
                  Current serial number in output stream:  84
                totem:
                Code:
                The program 'totem' received an X Window System error.
                This probably reflects a bug in the program.
                The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
                  (Details: serial 58 error_code 11 request_code 140 minor_code 19)
                  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
                   that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
                   To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
                   option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
                   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
                I tried loading the fglrx manually (even on liveCD session), and I've got this strange error (NOTE: the following output is not a copy/paste, but is hand-rewritten, as this error only occures while loading fglrx module with X turned off):
                Code:
                $ sudo modprobe fglrx
                [1086.656545] [fglrx:firegl_init_module] *ERROR* firegl_stub_register failed
                FATAL: Error inserting fglrx (/lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/updates/dkms/fglrx.ko): Operation not permitted.
                And last, but not least: my compiz config manager doesn't work anymore:
                Code:
                dodo@2nd-of-12:~$ ccsm
                ** (ccsm:8608): WARNING **: expected enumeration type PangoWrapMode, but got GtkWrapMode instead
                Traceback (most recent call last):
                  File "/usr/bin/ccsm", line 132, in <module>
                    idle = ccm.IdleSettingsParser(context, mainWin)
                TypeError: __init__() takes exactly 2 arguments (3 given)
                Any ideas how to solve at least something of that???

My graphic card is ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 (R500) (in HP Compaq nx9420) and I'm running a 64 bit system.

Comment

Originally posted by DoDoENT View Post
                  I've just upgraded my hardy to intrepid, and I am very very disappointed. First of all, while booting, there is no splash screen. Secondly, my ATI card stopped working completely. I installed the fglrx driver from the repository, but it just doesn't work. Open source radeon driver works, has 3D support (compiz) but hasn't got any video support (any player that uses XVideo crashes with the following output - even on liveCD session):
                  vlc:

[big list of problems]
                  ...and that's why I'm sticking with 8.04. I've got everything working, and I really don't want to go through it all again. I encourage bleeding-edge users to upgrade, but all the computers I maintain are sticking on the LTS release.

Comment

DoDoENT:

You may get XV back with the open source driver, but you may expose yourself to potential prolbems, by using EXA. Ubuntu 8.10's open driver defaults to XAA (even with composite enabled) so all you have to do is add to the Device section of xorg.conf:

Code:
                          Option   "AccelMethod" "EXA"
                    Save and restart X, you'll notice you will be able to play back videos using XV again.

Comment

Working...
                    X