Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 8.10 To Use Linux 2.6.27 Kernel?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu 8.10 To Use Linux 2.6.27 Kernel?

    Phoronix: Ubuntu 8.10 To Use Linux 2.6.27 Kernel?

    Generating buzz this morning with the release of the Linux 2.6.27-rc4 kernel is word that Ubuntu may switch to the Linux 2.6.27 kernel for their forthcoming 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex" release. Canonical's Ben Collins has proposed on the Ubuntu development mailing list that Intrepid be switched to using the Linux 2.6.27 kernel instead of using 2.6.26.The reasons for this expected switch so late in the development cycle is the updated mac80211, updated to ALSA 1.0.17 codecs, obtain Xen 64 para-virtualization, and use an updated version of the Kernel-based Virtual Machine...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjY2Nw

  • #2
    Good idea. Ath9k is also in there.

    Comment


    • #3
      And the updates to USB...

      Comment


      • #4
        wow if they pull of the switch its bloody awesome - ath5k eee wifi patches should hit 2.6.27 too!!!

        i heard some grumbling a while back about ubuntu backporting alot of features into their "older" kernels - was it all just noise?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by danjeel View Post
          Good idea. Ath9k is also in there.
          +1 here for Ath9k

          Having to carry over and re-install madwifi-ng and set up wpasupplicant.conf manually to get updates everytime I install Ubuntu is getting anoying. Out of the box support would be great!

          Comment


          • #6
            I hope it just doesn't screw up badly.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by francois View Post
              +1 here for Ath9k

              Having to carry over and re-install madwifi-ng and set up wpasupplicant.conf manually to get updates everytime I install Ubuntu is getting anoying. Out of the box support would be great!
              wow

              gspca drivers hit 2.6.27 too - http://lwn.net/Articles/291036/
              im actually pretty psyched about this possibility - i was considering switching to the fedora 10 as my next distro but xserver 1.5 and the new kernel!!!

              pity im reliant on ndis till the airgo wireless drivers mature...

              Comment


              • #8
                Well if they are going to put something this cutting edge, they better do a lot more test before 8.10 is finally released in October. I am still having problem with the pulseaudio stuff that comes standard in 8.04. I guess most people don't mind to have a newer version of software/driver/kernel as long as it doesn't cause more trouble than it solves.

                Comment


                • #9
                  But can we focus at fixing the Hardy's kernel now? Ubuntu shipped 2.6.24 really sucks. A few people already tried Intrepid's 2.6.26 and hibernation is working again on many computers.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I don't get why this "news" is newsworthy at all?
                    You can git-clone Linus' repository any time and compile a bleeding
                    edge kernel yourself...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mlau View Post
                      I don't get why this "news" is newsworthy at all?
                      You can git-clone Linus' repository any time and compile a bleeding
                      edge kernel yourself...
                      Not everyone can DO that sort of thing. Not everyone WANTS to do that sort of thing.

                      Just because you do that sort of thing with ebuild and I do that sort of thing with my OpenEmbedded and Pandora stuff does NOT lead to it being useful for the masses. It's a largely validated kernel coupled with a distribution. It's newsworthy, really.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                        Not everyone can DO that sort of thing. Not everyone WANTS to do that sort of thing.

                        Just because you do that sort of thing with ebuild and I do that sort of thing with my OpenEmbedded and Pandora stuff does NOT lead to it being useful for the masses. It's a largely validated kernel coupled with a distribution. It's newsworthy, really.
                        Point taken. Don't they (Ubuntu, Debian) provide updated kernels through their
                        respective package managers? I still don't see why this is newsworthy.
                        (Thank $DEITY Michael doesn't post about every updated package in Gentoo's portage)
                        Last edited by mlau; 08-21-2008, 12:31 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mlau View Post
                          Point taken. Don't they (Ubuntu, Debian) provide updated kernels through their
                          respective package managers? I still don't see why this is newsworthy.
                          The thing is, Ubuntu and Debian don't release new packages after a freeze except in very special cases. You have to wait six months with Ubuntu to get the next release which will have the next kernel version. If 2.6.27 hadn't have gotten to Ubuntu in 8.10, Ubuntu users would have had to stick with 2.6.26 until April. (Unless they'd go beta the next release which is not recommended for normal users because you can end up with a broken system and might have to at worst reinstall)
                          EDIT: Beta the next release *after* 8.10, that is.
                          Last edited by nanonyme; 08-21-2008, 01:05 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
                            But can we focus at fixing the Hardy's kernel now? Ubuntu shipped 2.6.24 really sucks. A few people already tried Intrepid's 2.6.26 and hibernation is working again on many computers.
                            I use ubuntu since dapper and hardy was the worst version since then...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by dickeywang View Post
                              I am still having problem with the pulseaudio stuff that comes standard in 8.04.
                              Get rid of P.A. Get rid of ALSA. Use OSS4.
                              Here's a guide on switching: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...81&postcount=2

                              Ubuntu -- An african word meaning 'Gentoo is too hard for me'
                              LOL. Not everyone has the time or devotion for Gentoo. I use Debian/Ubuntu (and Arch Linux before the disk died) and build a lot of my own software when it's not in the repo or when I need to build it differently than what's in the repo. But for many packages, pre-built .debs save time, even if it doesn't earn me any nerd points.

                              BTW, I also build .deb's for others, especially amd64 .deb's.

                              I use ubuntu since dapper and hardy was the worst version since then...
                              What I don't like about Hardy:
                              1. PulseAudio - as if ALSA wasn't bad enough. I'm hoping Ubuntu will see the light and use OSS4.1 in 9.04
                              2. "Bulletproof X" - some of us actually want to look at that errored-out Xorg.0.log and like configuring xorg.conf manually...

                              Other than that, Hardy is okay for me.
                              Last edited by DanL; 08-21-2008, 05:01 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X