Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elementary OS 0.3 "Freya" Now Available

Phoronix: Elementary OS 0.3 "Freya" Now Available

Version 0.3 of Elementary OS, which is codenamed Freya, is now available after being under development for more than one year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Pantheon is the default desktop environment originally created for the elementary OS distribution. It is written from scratch using Vala and the GTK3 toolkit. With regards to usability and appearance, the desktop has some similarities with GNOME Shell and Mac OS X.
    Status bar in top is outdated and useless, just like in Gnome[1-2-3].

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post
      Status bar in top is outdated and useless, just like in Gnome[1-2-3].
      Which bar is that?

Comment

Please package the Pantheon desktop environment in the Debian repository.

Comment

Pantheon for Debian

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Please package the Pantheon desktop environment in the Debian repository.
          There are people already working on it: https://plus.google.com/+Shnatsel/posts/iv2oZh7h9ZJ

Comment

If you're going to download and install it, don't forget to pay. We wouldn't want the developers to feel like you're stealing from them and otherwise cheating the system.

Comment

That's a solid release but I still prefer Gnome 3.16. Althought eOS team puts more attention to the visual design I think Gnome applications look better plus eOS file manager breadcrumbs were superior in Luna. I don't like how they put regular icons on the headerbars instead of buttons with symbolic icons like Gnome. I wish someone would come up with a desktop environment that would combine the best features of various DE's:

- wingpanel look + slingshot
              - cinnamon panel customizability
              - gnome extension management (perhaps updated with Chrome support...)
              - cinnamon (muffin) ability to snap application to desktop quarters
              - pantheon responsiveness and resource usage
              - gnome activities overview and workspaces management
              - gnome applications
              - deepin system settings

I wonder if Valve will ever come up with something of their own besides the Big Picture for the SteamOS.
              Last edited by killyou; 11 April 2015, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Pantheon for gnome shell

Originally posted by killyou View Post
                That's a solid release but I still prefer Gnome 3.16. Althought eOS team puts more attention to the visual design I think Gnome applications look better plus eOS file manager breadcrumbs were superior in Luna. I don't like how they put regular icons on the headerbars instead of buttons with symbolic icons like Gnome. I wish someone would come up with a desktop environment that would combine the best features of various DE's:

- wingpanel look + slingshot
                I use the following extensions under Gnome Shell to give it a pantheon-ish style:

slingshot
                simple dock
                topicons

Comment

Something I found real funny about eOS. In one bug where they discuss changing the file manager, someone posted a mockup for how it should look like.

So far so good. But said mockup is a screenshot from OS X, not some artist's conception. Hah.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Something I found real funny about eOS. In one bug where they discuss changing the file manager, someone posted a mockup for how it should look like.

So far so good. But said mockup is a screenshot from OS X, not some artist's conception. Hah.
                    I think GNOME, no matter how hard it wants to, can't go with obviously copying OS X, but at least its minor forks freely can.

Comment

Working...
                    X